What's new

First Impression of my new Studio 40's (1 Viewer)

James Bergeron

Supporting Actor
Background:

My original setup was a JBL N-series setup 2 ND310's N-centre and N24 rears. I then moved to a setup of B&W 303's, I didn't really notice much difference in sound quailty although it seemed a little cleaner.

So almost exactly 1 year from the first setup I upgraded to 4 Studio 40's and CC centre.

Last night Ihooked up my left/right and centre placed on the floor (with the centre on 2 boxes) so I could try them out. No sub No surrounds, I popped in The Fifth Element afer setting my speakers to large and setting my amplifier to all 0 levels (Ie I didn't even get the SPL meter out to properly calibrate).

And my results? I was BLOWN away! I NEVER EVER heard anything like this.

The Studio 40's play VERY smooth, there are sounds I never heard before during the movie and the bass was incredible (no sub). I mean my sub will help but it was amazing.

There was pin-point accuracy as well as MUCH ambient sound (almost feel as though surround aren't even needed!) I noticed things in the movie I hadn't noticed before because of SLIGHT audio cues which I never could hear. In the 3rd scene where Bruce wakes up and walks around his room I could here him walking from behind me to the front! With 2 speakers!

Many claim the paradigms are bright, but I found them A LOT less harsh than both the B&W 303's and the JBL setups. The voices were smooth and more defined. I just wanted to test for a second and ended up watching for 40 minutes instead of doing other things I should have been, I was hooked!

And to think I just took them out of the box and they aren't even broken in yet!

To be honest I bought them because I got a great deal! I knew they sounded awesome for music I had auditioned them about 6months ago and hadn't heard them since then. I was a little skeptical they would be much better for a movie sound track. But WOW.

If your thinking of these speakers, don't think just buy! I LOVE the way they look with the grills off to (yes I know they are designed to have them on).

John Dunlap

Stunt Coordinator
James,

Last night I was hooking up and listening to my new Studio 60's and Studio CC for the first time. What can I say but, I'm in love!!! I did'nt get to do a whole lot of listening at high volume due to the wife and kids.

I put in "The Patriot" DVD and in the opening scene where Mel Gibson is talking I swear it sounded like he was right there in front of me. In another scene where he is talking to his dead wife at her grave there are all these crickets chirping. I had to get up to tell whether the sound was coming from outside my house or from the speakers! And no, I don't have surrounds hooked up either...yet.

Next I listened to some CD's-Anita Baker, REM, Lenny Kravitz and last but not least my James Taylor-Live at Beacon Theater DVD. OMG-I could not believe how good that James Taylor DVD sounded.

The only question now is do I go for the Studio ADP's or choose the cheaper way out and get the Monitor 170's or 370's?

Mark Paquette

Supporting Actor
Just a quick question for Studio 40 owners. How far away from the wall should these be placed? I hope to own these soon and I'm curious how much space I need between them and the wall.

Evan S

Senior HTF Member
Mark, I have mine about a foot and a half away from the wall, but that is way more than you need.

Here is my rule of thumb. Play a music or movie track (preferably music) at the maximum volume that you would normally listen to. When the speaker is playing the track, move up behind it and place your hand behind the port. At the point where you no longer feel air moving against your hand, you have the approximate distance the speaker needs to be away from the wall.

In my tests, at high volume, that distance is about 6-8 inches. YMMV.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks