What's new

First HT questions (1 Viewer)

dan_dj

Auditioning
Hi All -

I'm finishing my basement and have 'reserved' a space for my first Home Theater and have a couple of questions.

1) I just bought my first a/v receiver and am trying to connect my DVD. I have a S-video cable from my monitor out to the tv and I have a component video connection from the dvd to the receiver. I can't get a picture! Sound works fine (optical from dvd to receiver)

2) Surround speaker placement might be an issue in my new HT room, so I am considering in-ceiling speakers ( Paradigm SM-60R ). Can I use in-ceiling speakers with a suspended ceiling?

Thanks in advance!
Dan

Lew Crippen

Senior HTF Member
You don’t mention that you have a set of component cables from your receiver outputs to your TV inputs. Do one of two things: connect your DVD player directly to your TV via the component connection (I think that this is best, unless you want to use your receiver as a component switch), or use a second set of component cables to go from your receiver component outputs to your TV component inputs.

If this does not help (and it may well not) we may need more information. For example, are you using your DVD player in progressive or interlaced mode? What kind of DVD player do you have—and what kind of TV.

And so forth.

Tim K

Second Unit
it sounds like you are trying to run video from your DVD player via component cables to your receiver and then via S-video from your receiver to your TV....is this correct? (you said monitor in your post but I think you meant receiver)

Anyway, there really aren't any receivers out there that can convert from component to s-video (or vice versa) nor would you want to do that. As Lew said, the best way to do it is to run component directly to your TV from your DVD player. You don't need to go through your receiver unless you want to use it for video switching. If your TV does not have component inputs you will have to run s-video from your DVD player directly to your TV. Just remember, what goes into your receiver must come out the same way (video signals).

dan_dj

Auditioning
Ok, thanks for the replies.

So, it's lowest common denominator?

My tv is a JVC 32" with three inputs, the vhf/uhf input, 1 composite and one s-video. I have my cable box connected to the composite and the s-video connected to my new Marantz sr7300ose receiver.

I want to be able to use the on-screen setup on the receiver( so I think I need at least s-video to the tv for this ) as well as connect a marantz dv4300 player and a Mitsubishi vcr.

What is my best solution until I get a tv with more/better inputs?

Thanks again.

Tim K

Second Unit
Basically you have to use your receiver as a video switcher then...which is one of the reasons receivers have video throughput...for people who don't have enough inputs on their TV's. Most receivers have many video inputs but only one of each video type of output.

Run S-video from DVD to receiver
Run composite from VCR to receiver (unless VCR has s-video, then run that)
Run composite from Cable to receiver (unless cable box has s-video, then run that)

Run an S-video cable from receiver to TV
Run composite video from receiver to TV

What goes in must come out the same way.

When you switch your receiver to DVD, your receiver will output the DVD audio and the DVD video. When set to VCR it will output the VCR audio and VCR video.

dan_dj

Auditioning
Thanks. I'll try that.

How 'bout in-ceiling surround speakers? Anybody use them?I'm considering using one for my back-surround since I don't have a back wall. ( multi-purpose room )

Tim K

Second Unit
I can't speak for in-ceiling speakers. Try doing a search in the speakers forum here...I'm pretty sure others have asked about in-walls / in-ceilings.

Drew_W

Screenwriter
You can always use celing mounts to mount smaller bookshelves from the celing, if celing height allows.

dan_dj

Auditioning
Ok, I made the connections as recommended above.

Cable tv works ( composite )
VCR works ( composite )
DVD and A/V setup menus work ( S-video )
DVD is only black and white ( s-video ) !!!!

If I connect the DVD to the receiver using a composite it works too. Any idea why the DVD s-video connection doesn't have color? Am I missing a setting somewhere?

Dan

Tim K

Second Unit
sounds like it could be a problem with the s-video cable. Have you tried swapping it with another?

Tim K

Second Unit
Bad cable... broken wire in the plug.... doh!(expensive oops)
S-video cables are not that expensive. I think RadioShack "Gold Series" ones are $14.99 for a 6ft cable or $19.99 for a 12ft. These should be more than sufficient for your needs.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks