1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

First HT purchase: good or bad?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Brandon_CD, Dec 14, 2002.

1. Brandon_CD

Brandon_CD Auditioning

Hey, I had been searching for a HT system for a month or two. Like most n00bs I was looking at an htib. After doing some research, I've decided to buy separate components. For speakers, I found some on ebay-JBL NSP1 5 spkr package-that Harmon Kardon is selling. I work at Best Buy, so I was going to buy my receiver and sub from there. For the receiver, I was split b/w the pioneer vsx-d811 and the yamaha htr-5550. For the sub, I was looking at the sony sawm40 or the JBL pb12. Any preferences b/w the receivers and subs, and are those JBL speakers of good quality? Thanks.

2. Stephen Hopkins

Stephen Hopkins HW Reviewer
    HW Reviewer

It looks like you've made some very solid decisions. The NSP1 package is one of the best out there for the money.

As for the receiver, I would recommend the D811S. For the money, it's nearly impossible to beat. Since you work at Best Buy, you might also want to give the Kenwood 6060 and 6070 a listen, but i would still give the edge to the Pioneer D811S. The cheaper yamaha receivers sound bright to me, and the JBL Northridge series is somewhat bright it's self, so they might not be a good combination.

For the sub, listen and see which you like best. The PB12 will probably have a bit better extension than the SAWM40, but i doubt it will sound $200 better. I don't know how much your discount is, but personally, i would look at the PB10 as a nice compromise between the PB12 and SAWM40.

Also, since you work at Best Buy and I'm guessing you have the discount, and since the D811S is capable of 7.1 speaker setups, i would strongly consider picking up a pair of JBL N62s or N38s to use as your mains, and use the 4 N24s that come in the NSP1 package as the 4 back speakers in a full 7.1 setup. I'm running a similar setup w/ N28 mains and the NSP1 package for center and all 4 surrounds, and i love it.

Hope this helps.