First HT... How did I do? (Also confused on connecting xbox)

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Christopher_P, Nov 8, 2003.

1. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

Warning Warning Danger Danger newbie alert [​IMG]

Past month or so I have been posting questions here and there for tips on this well tonight I just toasted my savings on this setup and I wanted to ask a few questions on getting it all setup when the TV is delivered.

What I have:

Toshiba 51h83
    80hour Series2 Tivo (was going to get the really expensive 320 hour one from weaknees but changed my mind at the last min wanted to save alittle money. Figure I can order one of there upgrade kits later if I want more space)
    Basic VCR (sad but true don't even remember the brand)
    LiteOn2001 DVD player
    Onkyo HTIAB
    Consoles (xbox/gc/ps2/dc)

Ok here is where I am having problems. I'm trying to write down the exact connections I need made soon as the TV gets here so I can start playin with it on Wed.

This is what I think is correct:

Cable TV (from wall) --- VCR ----- Tivo --- Reciever --- TV
    DVD player --- Receiver ---- TV
    Ps2/GC/DC ---- switch box --- receiver --- TV
    Xbox --- GameLink 400x cables to TV's HD1 input / Lightwave 100x cables to optical 1 and 2 of reciever

Ok my receiver has digital input optical 1 AND 2 why do I need 2 cables from the xbox? So I'd select HD1 on the TV and Digital 1? on the receiver when I want to play xbox?

2. adamKI

adamKI Stunt Coordinator

You only need one optical cable from the X-box to your receiver. One cable will take care of all 5.1 (or 6.1 or 7.1) channels of sound.

You'll probably want to use the other optical input on your receiver to connect your DVD player. Also, what type of connection are you using for video on your DVD player? More than likely, you'll want to upgrade it to component video so you can take advantage of progressive scan. IN that case, you'll send a componenent cable from the DVD player directly to the TV's "HD2" input.

3. Christopher_P

Christopher_P Stunt Coordinator

4. Roger_R

Roger_R Second Unit

Component video only uses 3 leads, not 5. One for luminance, one for blue and one for red. Those "5 plug" cables you mention also carry stereo analogue sound. Since you have a surround receiver that supports digital input, you don't need the last two leads.