First HT - Advice on Paradigm Speakers

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Joe Gretzky, Jul 24, 2002.

1. Joe Gretzky

Joe Gretzky Auditioning

I've got a medium-sized living room and I'm looking to spend around $1500 for home theater (speakers, sub, receiver and dvd player). I've been looking at some Paradigm speakers.
    Any thoughts on the Atoms vs Titans? I've heard good things about both. They sound ok. Are there any other speakers that you would recommend in this price range? I was actually thinking about going with the Titans on the front channels and Atoms in the rear.

This is what I checked out:
    Atoms - $170 pair
    Titans - $214 pair
    Center - Paradigm CC170 $180
    SUB - Polk 350 10" $350
    Integra 5.3 receiver - $550

Are these decent prices? I might look for a different receiver. Any help you can give this music-loving audio-rookie would be appreciated. Thanks.

2. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    Welcome [​IMG]
    4 Titans + CC170 + PDR10 sub. I got my V3 Titans for less than $200, and they are just better overall than Atoms, IMO. I originally had that setup, and swapped the Atoms out for Titans because I prefered the way they sounded. Even when set to small, the added midrange depth is worth it.
    FYI: the PSW350 is only $270 on sale at Crutchfield, and for $350, you can actually get the PSW450. These are not great subs though. I'd look for something that goes to at least 25Hz and below. There are a few good subs right around that price range. Do a search in the speaker forum for HSU VTF2 and Adire Rava.
    The receiver should be fine.

3. Joe Gretzky

Joe Gretzky Auditioning

Thanks for the advice. I'll look into the subs. BTW, where did you get the Titans?

4. John Garcia

John
    I only have one dealer in my immediate area. Where are you located?

5. Bac Bradley

Bac Bradley Stunt Coordinator

Take a look at PSB's too - slightly cheaper than Paradigm and in my book, every bit as good.
    www.psbspeakers.com

6. John Garcia

John
    I'll also recommend taking a look at Axiom. Also not too much more expensive than Paradigm's Performance line, and as good or better than the Monitor line.

7. Joe Gretzky

Joe Gretzky Auditioning

John,

I'm in Houston. I know of only two Paradigm dealers in the city and one of them doesn't seem to ever answer the phone.