First home theatre, a little confused after setup ...

Discussion in 'Beginners, General Questions' started by Prakash:M, Jul 10, 2006.

1. Prakash:M

Prakash:M Auditioning

Hey guys,

Ive just set up my first home theatre that consists of a 61 inch Samsung DLP , along with an LG audio setup [one of those in the box deals].

I noticed a couple of things that I would love to get some assistance on:

1. How do i get the sound to play through the home audio setup I have, rather than through the TV speakers ? I tried to get to the right settings, but got a little lost...

2a. When playing a DVD [I was playing Season 3 of 24], I noticed that the sound was coming through the LG speakers, but more so through the front 2 than the rear 2. The rear 2 was playing sound, but it was more of the ambient noise during the scene. Is this normal ?

2b. In addition, the picture quality didnt seem as crisp as I had imagined it to be on a DLP HDTV. Which leads to my next question ...

3. Ive been told that the out of the box cables are not very good, and have been told to look into aftermarket ones. I know I have an HDMI output from my DVD player, and a corresponding input in the TV. Is this something worth getting ? What sort of other cables would you guys recommend ?

Thanks all in advance

2. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Prakash,

Welcome to the forum!

Don't start switching the cables. There's nothing wrong with them, probably, and if you think there's a weak "link" you can always to decide an "upgrade" later. But never spend too much money on cables: the very expensive ones are surely overrated (if anything special at all).

Does the sound of a DVD player come through the TV speakers? (The TV sound will, but you can send the audio out to your receiver as well, just don't bother for now).
    If so, you must connect the audio out of the DVD player to the receiver, one way or another. Your second question suggests that the sound does go to the HT speakers. If so: yes the surrounds will mostly get "surround sound", which is however more when you are using DD5.1 or DTS than when you're using Dolby Surround (the older HT technique). Does your player (and receiver) have settings for this? Make sure you're using "Dolby Digital" (and not "Dolby Surround") or DTS.

What are you using for your video connection (to your TV)? "Composite", S-Video or component? S-Video and "Component" (Red Green Blue) are the best (there's less difference between S-Video and RGB than between "composite" and the rest). How are the resolution settings on your DVD player (if any) and TV?

Although the image can get influenced by e.g. a bad S-Video cable, most often this is not the problem. IMO you should be able to get a fine picture and image with the stuff coming from the box first. Improvements *will* occur later. (The "ouch" you just heard is from the general direction of your wallet. [​IMG] )

Good luck with your new system!

Cees

3. Prakash:M

Thank you for your reply ! :)

Re: cables, Ive done some reading up, and the consensus is that high end cables [ie Monster] are overpriced and provide little to no improvement. However, is it still not worthwhile to move to some aftermarket cables that are not as expensive but still do the job ?

Re: sound. The LG DVD player is also acting as the receiver. The only connection I have from DVD to TV is using the "video out" cable that came with the DVD player [its a simple RCA cable, with one plug on each end]. It didnt come with any cables for audio ....

Having said that, sounds like Im better off getting some component cables for the video out, but what should i be getting for the audio to get the sound to come out of the HT speakers instead of TV spkrs ?

Finally, what about HDMI cable ? Yay or nay ?

4. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Prakash,

HDMI is the future! [​IMG]

Your HDMI connection will transmit both video (probably at a higher quality!) and audio (which is not necessary in your case: you don't want the audio to go to your TV).

Did the set come with an HDMI-cable? If not: certainly buy one.

You're right about those other cables. But my suggestion is to wait until you're reasonably satisfied with your current connections and have established where you want to get, and may be able to achieve, just a bit more quality.

Cees

5. Prakash:M

^^ Thank you again Cees !

I guess my main concern @ this point is the fact that DVD picture on the TV doesnt seem to be as clear as I had hoped. I had really high expectations of the new TV , maybe unrealistically.

So you would suggest sticking with the single video out cable that i have at the moment ? And definitely get HDMI and component cables to hook up from receiver to TV [this should solve the problem of the TV using TV spkrs for sound].

Finally, does anyone have any suggestions on spkr placement ? Ive got two towers beside the TV, the centre channel below on the stand, and two towers beside the couch [or should they be behind ?] . Oh and the sub is to the right of the TV.

6. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Prakash,

The HDMI cable will most probably give you a better picture on your TV! It's a digital connection.

If you won't use that, you should switch to either S-Video or component for a video connection. That might improve your TV image (from the DVD-player) too.

Cees

7. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

Try forum sponsor www.bluejeanscable.com or www.cablesforless.com for decent prices on that hdmi cable or component cables. If you're using the yellow video cable, you are watching in 480i which is the lowest amount of video information and likely lowest picture quality. Once you get the component or hdmi cables, you can enable 'progressive scan' on your dvd player and watch your dvds in 480p to get a better picture.

Turn off the sound from your tv's speakers when using your surround sound. It will interfere with how a balanced level from all the speakers is supposed to sound.

24 is probably not the best material to 'show off' your surround sound. They've been getting more aggressive with the sound mixing in each successive season, but there is typically not a whole lot of use of the surround speakers. By season three, they weren't doing much at all. They might have remixed for the dvd, but the 5.1 broadcast versions didn't use the surrounds much. The ticking clock as it goes to commercial has a nice low tone that will test your sub though.

8. Prakash:M

Cees,

Thanks again.

Right now I have digital cable @ home [no HDTV channels since i dont have the set top box connected to this new TV], and so i only get "normal" channels. I noticed that these channels dont fill up the whole screen, instead it leaves it at a 4:3 ratio, unless i manually change it. When I do change it to fit the entire screen, the picture quality suffers. Anything I can do about this ?

Re: HDMI cable, correct me if im wrong, but doesnt this connect from the DVD player to the back of the TV ? If so, it should definitely improve the DVD image , right ? Not clear on how it would improve the TV picture.

Finally, re: cables, do you have any suggestions [brands, etc] of HDMI cable, component cable for DVD to TV, and component cable for my playstation 2 ?

So, to recap, my understanding is that I need to get one HDMI to DVI cable []http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=2441], one set of component cables for DVD to TV, http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=243, and one set of component cables to hook up my ps2 to TV http://www.monstercable.com/monsterg...2.asp?pin=1450, and one of these cables to hook up receiver to TV so that sound comes out of HT spkrs http://www.monstercable.com/productPage.asp?pin=1263

This should (I hope) allow me to get better picture while playing DVDs, and getting good sound. Note: I only used Monster cables as an example :-P .... would love to hear your suggestions on cables that get the job done but for a fraction of the price. Cheers !

Thanks a million !

9. John Gido

John Gido Second Unit

I'll assume that you are looking for "surround sound" from your normal TV viewing, correct?

If so, you need to make an audio connection from either your 61 inch Samsung DLP or your cable/satellite set top box to your receiver/dvd combo. The ideal connection would be a single digital connection from your STB to your receiver using whatever option is available (single digital cable or toslink optical cable). That type of connection will give you 5.1 surround if available, otherwise it will still give you a stereo audio output, which can be decoded by your receiver/dvd player into pro-logic surround. If that is not an option, you can use an analog connection (red/white stereo cable) from your TV to your receiver.

10. Prakash:M

^^ Thanks, youre right. So, how about the following cables from cablesforless.com :

1. This is for the DVD-TV video part: https://www.cablesforless.com/index....OD&ProdID=2131

I also saw some cables with 5 plugs; do i need these, or are the three enough ?

2. Digital audio cable to hook up from TV to DVD/receiver: https://www.cablesforless.com/index....OD&ProdID=2360

3. HDMI to DVI cable for DVD to HDTV: https://www.cablesforless.com/index....OD&ProdID=2222

Not sure if i need dual link or single link though ...

4. Component cable for playstation2 to TV: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...lance&n=468642

Kindly let me know if the list is complete, and what you guys think.

Thanks

11. Cees Alons

Cees Alons Moderator

Cees Alons
    Sorry, Prakash, my bad. I meant the DVD image on the TV set, not the "broadcast" picture.

Cees

12. Charlie Campisi

Charlie Campisi Screenwriter

1. 3 plugs is enough for video. Those are your component cables. When you see it bundled with another pair of red/white cables, those are for your analog audio. You'd use those if you wanted to hear your dvd through the tv's speakers. Note: the component video and red/white analog audio are different spec'ed, so make sure you use them appropriately.

2. That cable is an optical audio. There are two ways to transmit digital audio: optical audio and coaxial audio. Since this cable will be running from the tv audio out to the dvd/rec audio in, make sure that your tv and dvd/rec have optical audio connections and not coax connections.

3. If you have an hdmi output on your dvd/rec and an hdmi input on your tv, you want an hdmi cable, not an hdmi/dvi cable. In the simplest of terms dvi predated hdmi and carries video only, while hdmi carries video and audio. The connectors are different sizes, so you can't plug one into another. Make sure you get the appropriate cable for your connection. BTW, If you are using the hdmi cable to connect your dvd/rec to the tv, you don't need the component cable and vice versa. They are doing the same task (in general terms).

4. That's the correct ps2 cable. Not sure how much of an advantage it gives.

13. Prakash:M

You guys have been awesome. Thank you so much for taking the time to help out a totally lost and confused newbie ... well, lost and confused before you guys helped.

Thanks a lot, and Im sure youll be seeing me around here more often !

14. Prakash:M

hey fellas, one more question:

right now, ive got a cable signal [for cable TV] running to the back of my TV. The picture quality isnt so great though .... is this just a consequence of viewing "normal" [i.e. non HD] channels on the DLP TV ?

If not, is there anything I can do to make the channels clarity better ?

Thanks !

15. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

All you have now is analog cable, at least get the digital cable box if you can not get HD now. You will see a better picture quality but not at the level of HD. Analog cable reception is 240 interlaced and when viewed on a 720P DLP it can look pretty bad even with the display's scaler.

16. Prakash:M

thanks, mylan. So the digital cable box will give me a better picture, and if i get the HD programming as well, I should be good to go, right ?

Thanks

17. mylan

mylan Screenwriter

Yes, the lower channels like 2, 5, 8, and 11 will still look poor, its like that old saying "garbage in, garbage out" even though the display's internal scaler tries to upconvert the signal, there is not much it can do with it to make it look good. On my LCD Sony, I don't ever watch regular cable, only HD or upconverted DVD.