What's new

first home theater (1 Viewer)

RightHandLeftie

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
I'm considering my first flat screen TV for my living room but from what I understand, the sound on most aren't that great. I don't know the first thing about a/v equipment and would really appreciate any advice. My current set up is a TV, a series 2 TiVo & a cable box. I know that I'll have to upgrade my TiVo in order to be able to get HD from it as well as my cable box. I'm not an audiophile so top of the line is not really what I'm looking for. I'm really looking for a good, simple all in one kind of unit that will be adequate for my 17 x 20 living room and be able to do it on a tight budget. Beyond that I'm not sure what questions I should be asking or what specificationsi should be looking for. I'm also not opposed to picking up a nicer older used system off eBay or something if I know what I should be looking for. Any advice is much appreciated.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
What is a "tight budget".

I'm trying to keep myself on a tight budget in not spending more than $1200 on a new AVR(mostly because HDMI 2.0 is on the horizon).

But a list of your sources(Wii? VCR? gaming of any kind? Ipad/ipod? Android? PC?)

It is possible to spend no more than $600 on the A of the AV, and not having anything to be ashamed of.

RightHandLeftie

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
We do have a Wii. I did forget to mention that one. Other than that, its doubtful I'll ever connect the phones/tablets to it. Right now its looking like we are going to be getting a TV in approx the $400 range...40"ish or so. So to me a tight budget would not be spending more on sound than I am on a TV (ideal for me would be in the $250 range). I guess if you boil it right down to it, is there an entry-level all-in-one home theater system package (which comes with all the speakers you need for surround sound and a receiver) or whatever you need to complete the package? If there is a good system out there that may even be a few years old I'm not opposed to looking on eBay since I know people will sometimes tend to trade up as they go.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
At that price the only thing you can find are off brand LCD.

To get the same "almost quality" picture in LCD requires 1.5 times the cost.

$400 plasma=$600 LCD
$600 plasma=$900 LCD

When you hit $1500 in plasma then it takes 2 times the price in LCD to be the equal.

Ergo, a $2500 plasma=$5000 LCD.

RightHandLeftie

Auditioning
Real Name
Michael
From my reading that's what it sounds like and that plasma is the way to go. I appreciate your thoughts and advice very much.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks