What's new

First Home Theater setup, Good choice or keep looking? (1 Viewer)

EriCCirE

Grip
Hey guys,

I am on a very low budget compared to all of you guys. I was looking for a receiver and speaker set that was under 300 dollars, good quality and loud. I can up with this. Tell me what you think or better suggestions!

With shipping that one is 240.

Thanks

Eric

EriCCirE

Grip
Hrmm, It wont let me post other site urls.

Just search on google for the RCA RT2600.

If you are too lazy I have copied them from the site (get ready):

RCA RT2600 650 Watt Home Theater System with Powered Subwoofer

Product Description
Music to your Ears! This RCA 650-Watt Dolby Digital® Receiver will dazzle the audiophile in you! The 150-Watt Powered Subwoofer helps to reproduce the vibrant movie sound and effects in the comforts of your living room. For improved realism, activate the DSP mode to recreate the acoustic environments. Dolby Digital® Surround, Dolby® Pro Logic II and Digital Surround® all work to further create a theater experience right in your living room. In addition to awesome sound, this RCA Home Theater Receiver has an EZ Use Feature Set that includes a Quick Connect Guide, Color-Coded Wiring, Color-Coded Speaker Terminals and Speaker Hanging Capability. Your house will become THE place to be to watch the latest movies or the big sports game with this RCA Home Theater Receiver.

Manufacturer: RCA - Mfg Part#: RT2600

Features General Dimensions:
Receiver: 16.9" W, 15.7" D, 5.1" H
Speakers: 4.6" W, 4.5" D, 6.9" H
Subwoofer: 7.8" W, 14.2" D, 14.0" H
Universal Remote Control - Programmable universal remote with easy-to-use button layout. Operates most features on RCA audio and video products.
4-Level Display Dimming - The user can customize the brightness of the display by selecting one of four different levels.
Rotary Encoder Volume Control - Provides for smooth, gradual volume control.
Tuner Features:
Digital AM/FM Stereo Tuner - Tunes AM/FM stations with maximum accuracy and minimum drift. Always tunes to the center of the broadcast channel for minimum distortion.
40 AM or FM Station Presets - Allows the user quick access to their favorite stations. The auto scan function will scan available stations and automatically store them in memory.
Seek Up/Down - Automatically searches the band, stopping at the next station in-tune.
Preset Scan - This feature quickly searches the user's customized station presets, stopping briefly at each preset until the user presses the button again to stop the scanning mode.
Sound:
650-Watt Total Power
Two channels driven into 8 ohms, from 40hz-20khz with no more than 0.9% THD.
100-Watts Left, Right, Center, Surround Left and Surround Right
150 Watt Powered Subwoofer - Powerful bass helps reproduce vibrant movie sound and effects. The subwoofer is powered from an integrated amplifier located in the receiver to keep efficient power while still allowing easy set-up.
Digital Sound Processing (DSP) - Activating the DSP mode recreates acoustic environments (Concert, Theatre, Church, Stadium, Club and Arena) for improved realism.
Dolby Digital® Surround - The digital surround format recreates an incredible theatre experience. This sound format is now widely available on DVD, LaserDisc, and satellite. Cable box Dolby Digital1 formats enable the play back of up to 5.1 discrete channels allowing the 3 front, 2 rear and subwoofer speakers to output a full range dynamic sound.
Dolby® Pro Logic II - New surround sound processing makes any stereo sound (CD, TV, VCR, Game) into a multichannel 5.1 surround. This process creates separate channels for right, left, center and surrounds accentuating the sense of being in the middle of the scene.
Digital Surround (DTS)® - Digital Surround sound format delivers up to 5.1 channels of master quality providing uncompromised reproduction of the original multi-track layer.
Compatible with DVD Audio and SACD
2-Level Nightmode - To intentionally keep sound levels down, the user can automatically "lower" the dynamic range in order to prevent scenes from getting too loud and yet keep dialogue intelligible.
Preset EQ - Preassigned equalization of bass, treble and mid-range for optimum sound performance. Labeled for use with corresponding types of music (Jazz, Pop, Rock, Classic and Vocal).
6-Channel Inputs - The 6 channel external inputs make this system upgradeable by allowing the system to remain compatible with future multi-channel decoding formats like DVD Audio and Super Audio CD.
Input IQ - Using computer intelligence to automatically select the correct type of signal processing (Dolby Digital, ProLogic, 3-Stereo, etc) for every input (CD, DVD, VCR, TV, etc..), this feature has "learning" ability which allows it to retain user enhancements such as channel volume, delay, etc., and use them as the new defaults.
Technical/Jack Data:
Connections
Front Panel:
- 1 Pair Audio Input
- 1 Video Input
Rear Panel:
- 3 S-Video: 2 In/1Out (Monitor)
- 3 Digital In: 2 Optical/1Coaxial
AV Connection
- Audio: 3 In/1 Out
- Video: 4 In/1 Out
- Total Source: 7
- 1 Subwoofer Output
- 6 Channel External Input
Front Panel Connections - The front audio and video connections allow easy "plug and play" freedom. Just hook and unhook your camcorder, video game or MP3 player.
3.5mm Stereo Headphone Jack - For private listening, the headphone jack is conveniently located on the front of the unit.
EZ Use Feature Set
Quick Connect Guide, Color-Coded Wiring, Color-Coded Speaker Terminals, Speaker Hanging Capability.
Video Connections - The unit is equipped with S-video and standard composite video to fit most ETV sets. S-video will provide greater video performance by having improved definition, sharper and cleaner sound.
Accessories:
External AM Loop Antenna
FM Pig Tail Antenna
1 Audio Cable
1 Video Cable
Universal Remote Control with 2 AA Batteries Included
Plus 1-Year Limited Warranty

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
If you absolutely must stick to that budget then you dont really have many choices. I dont think I've seen any RCA systems recommended on any forums yet so you might not be happy with it in the long run. The best thing for you to do is head down to Radio Shack and see how it sounds. If you think it sounds ok then go for it. After the receiver has been on for a while put your hand on the top of it and see if its really hot or not. It seems like I've heard that the RCA's really heat up which isnt good. I dont remember for sure though or it could have just been one model. If you can wait a little longer so that your budget increases to around $500 I think you would be a lot happier with something like an Onkyo system. One thing for sure....the speakers would be a lot better. Whatever you decide, good luck!!

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
Do you have a Radio Shack and a Circuit City nearby? If you do then go to the Shack and listen to the RCA system and then go over to Circuit City and listen to this Sony system....
http://www.circuitcity.com/detail.js...rk_7&oid=69841

At circuitcity.com its on sale for $285 with free shipping. Decide which one you like the sound of better and get it. You'll probably need to pick up either a digital optical cable or a digital coaxial cable because they're usually not included. Just find the least expensive one they offer and dont spend a lot of money on one just because the dealer recommends a higher priced brand. You could always pick up a spool of 16 or 14 gage speaker wire from the Shack or home depot to replace the really cheap stuff that comes with the systems. Good luck and enjoy it!!

Shane Morales

Second Unit
Yamaha HTR-5540 Audio/Video Receiver
$169
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...onics&n=172561

Jensen JHT525 Home Theater Speaker System
$149
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...nics&n=3025451

KLH HTA-9706 6-Piece 100-Watt Home Theater Speaker System
$80
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...nics&n=3025451

ONKYO TX-8211
$200

Yamaha HTR-5550 Audio/Video Receiver
$220

Good luck, man.

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
The RCA RT2600 sounds better than most HTIB's that are cheaper than 450 bucks. The Sony ones are alright but the speakers DEFINITELY need to be replaced on those systems. The RCA doesn't use funny connectors. My friend has the system and it's pretty nice for a cheap fix. For $250, you can't beat a 650 watt receiver with DTS, Pro Logic 2 and some cheap speakers to get you by for now.

Stay away from the Sony DAVC-450 and try not to opt for the HTDDW750. Sony makes good TV's, but their speakers are less than perfect.

What you could also do is what I'm opting to do... For a little more than 300 bucks, you can pick up a Sherwood 6108 (Currently on sale for $129 at Circuit City), and get an Onkyo HTS500 speaker system from shoponkyo.com refurbished for $177.00. That set up will probably annhilate (sp?) the RCA system, although if you want a compact system, the RCA is good.

EriCCirE

Grip
Ok guys, Im probaly going to follow mando with the sherwood and onkyo speakers. Are there any better speakers than those far around that price? I hope that seup will be LOUD

Thanks

Eric

clay_w

Agent
EriCCirE, I will be getting a new setup also with about the same price range as you. I would not feel too bad about getting a RS setup as I currently have the 500 watt model (5250?) and have really enjoyed it.

I am certainly not a audiophile (can't afford that hobby...) but have enjoyed my Dolby Digital setup greatly and look forward to getting a Pro Logic II setup, even if it does have to be a RS HTIB.

Maybe down the road we will have one of the more expensive setups and won't recommend the HTIB's either but for now it sure beats plain old TV speakers.

Bill_Wil

Stunt Coordinator
The Sherwood/onkyo setup will probably sound pretty good, better than the RCA and Sony I would imagine but if you play it real loud all the time like it sounds like you want to then you'll probably blow those little speakers.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I have the Sherwood receiver hooked up to AudioSource speakers and you would be surprised at how loud the system is. I usually have to keep the volume at 45 or below. I doubt that the Onkyo speakers would blow. You would have to listen to the system at full volume constantly to do that. I wouldn't worry about it. The Sherwood receiver and the speakers cost me just over $200.00. I also bought a new 27" TV and DVD/VCR combo to go along with them and the WHOLE system cost me less than $600.00. $585.00 to be exact. For a budget system or a second bedroom system, the Sherwood receiver is hard to beat.

Mando-R

Stunt Coordinator
I seriously doubt youll blow the Onkyo's with the Sherwood receiver. Unless you max out the volume and play "Face Off" all day on repeat, then there's no chance of that. The Onkyo speakers are pretty big and have pretty big drivers too. In fact, for budget systems I wouldn't go with anything other than Onkyo at this point. I just need a cheap receiver, but I'm waiting five weeks to get my home theater fix.

You're more expected to blow the RCA speakers because the RCA receiver puts out 650 watts, and the satellites are rather small.

ChuckSolo

Screenwriter
I got the receiver at www.outpost.com and the speakers at Best Buy. However, Circuit City and Fry's will price match as I have already asked them and I intend to buy a second Sherwood 6108 this weekend at the same $79.99 price. It is interesting that in the showroom, a couple of weeks ago, the Sherwood 6108 was advertised at $169.99 at Circuit City and $139.99 at Fry's.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks