What's new

First home theater queston (1 Viewer)

Steven9790

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven johnson
Im in the process of putting my first home theater together in the loft area of my upstairs , so far I have
center klipsch RC-62 ii 150w rms/ 600 peak towers klipsch RF-28 ii 150w rms / 600w peak
Side surround RS -61ii 100w rms/ 400w peak
Rear RS-42 ii 75w rms/ 300 peak
Subwoofer 2x klipsch R-12SWi 400w

I would like to run 4 atmos speakers in the ceiling and i was wondering do the speakers in the ceiling need to match the rest of the speakers or could I save some money there ?
And I would like some recommendations for a receiver to run this set up for a decent price or what would be the best way to power this set up.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
You can probably save some money on Atmos speakers. You won't need the bass response that your fronts will have, but you'll want to tonally match as closely as possible for your mids and highs. If you're not going to get the same brand, see if you can compare what you're looking at to your rear speakers in the HT room of a local dealer. Bass tones are not directional, which is why I suggest you compare smaller speakers to smaller speakers. You may also want to consider the Atmos-enabled speakers that can sit on top of your towers and reflect off the ceiling.

Steven9790

Auditioning
Real Name
Steven johnson
Thanks for the help. I have been looking at a couple of options for the atmos I thought about the ones that sit on top of the towers but have no room for them in the rear of the room.

Micca M-8C 8 Inch

Klipsch KHC-6

archipel-13icp-5

yamaha-RIC 65

Russound-rsf-620

Are there any other speakers around this price range
That would be a better option ....

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
Thanks for the help. I have been looking at a couple of options for the atmos I thought about the ones that sit on top of the towers but have no room for them in the rear of the room.

Micca M-8C 8 Inch

Klipsch KHC-6

archipel-13icp-5

yamaha-RIC 65

Russound-rsf-620

Are there any other speakers around this price range
That would be a better option ....

All of the speakers in your post are in-ceiling.

The Onkyo SKH-410 aren't bad, and sell around $150/pair, but it appears they may have been discontinued, as they seem to have become scarce on Amazon and Best Buy. My experience with "Atmos-Enabled" speakers is that these only work well if you have low ceilings.

Bob Bielski

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert Bielski
let me tell you you have some of the most effcient speakers going with Klipsh. Amplification as much as you can afford the more the better. All speakers should be the same. It will help with not focusing on different timbre between diffferent brand or different drivers and crossovers. Then try to get the front speakers and center channel the same height with the tweeter and midrange in the same plane at ear level. This creates an effect that fools the brain and makes an illusion of surrounding sound with no source. I tell you this from experience. I used to have a system consisting of 2 stereo systems and trying to get surround sound. I got the first surround DSP unit called Yamaha DSP !. It had recorded auditoriums and Dolby surround wich was mono in the rear speakers. I was able to play with the parameters like delay and reverbaration. Still wasn't discreete full bandwith . Then I got into Laser Disc witch was great for video but not so much for surround sound.Then I bought an AVR that had Dolby HD and DTS Master and it was heaven. I had already experimented with different front and center channel brands as well as surrounds. I was using ADS L1230s for the front channels and Boston Acoustics A400s for the rears. I had a Cambridge Soundworks center channel to complete the system. My next system had an Onkyo AVR and ADS L1230s for mains and ADS 810s for surrounds with the Cambridge Soundworks as a center.. I then bought an HSU subwoofer VTF-3 MK4. I then experienced too heavy boom in the bass so I got a pair of L1090s and they were a lillle bass shy.Next I got another pair of 1290/2s and then had 4 of the same speakers. I then built a center channel to match the 4 1290/2s. I finally spent some money and dicided to go seperates. Had an old Nikko Alpha 440 from a previous stereo system and it was more than enough to power my small height speakers L 300s.
Bought another Alpha 440 on Craigslist and had them both rebuilt to spec. I got an Anthem P5 for half price being 5 years old. Purchased an Anthem AVM 60 for my preamp processor.
Will share a link with you to help design your system.
https://www.dolby.com/us/en/technol...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf
This is very informative. Good luck with the system.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
samtbax
Recent bookmarks