First Home Theater Purchase Need Advice!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by RoryM, Jan 14, 2003.

1. RoryM

RoryM Auditioning

I'm looking into getting a home theater system for my bedroom. It's going to be used mainly for Xbox and watching DVDs. I need something with fairly small speakers. The only stumbling block is that I work at Best Buy and I want to use my discount to get my stuff there. The only setup i've looked at so far is the JBL SCS150 speakers and a Kenwood VR-6070 receiver. This would be the max that I would spend. I would appreciate any advice on good components that could be purchased at Best Buy. Thank You.

2. Edison Tinker

For recievers why not look into the Pioneer VSX-D811S? I's got features comparable to that of the Kenwood and is $200 less expensive, it's not THX certified but I don't belive that THX certification is the be all and end all in the determination of a quality component.

As for speakers I like the JBL N series components in your budget...good low cost performers. They're a step up from the package you mention (both in price and quality) but well worth it IMHO. You could go with (4) N24's and an N-Center for your satellites/center and maybe pick up a JBL PB-10 sub (if funds permit)or the Sony SAWM40 (a decent performer for the price).

If that stretches your budget a bit far then there's always the Yamaha Bookshelf speakers...not bad for the price.

All of the aforementioned gear is available from Best Buy so your discount would be applicable. In any case, good luck with your decision making.

3. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Ditto what Edison said.

I own the 811 and the Sony sub and I really enjoy the sound of my system.

Alfer

4. RoryM

RoryM Auditioning

I appreciate the response, gives me a few more options to consider. It seems that the THD on the Pioneer is a little high compared to what people recommend. The price on the JBL's is pretty high too but I will go check them out at work and see what they come out as. Also, will these work with wall mounts because that is the only way to get these into my room. Once again, thanks for the advice and if anybody else wants to add their $.02 it would be appreciated too.

5. Alf S

Alf S Banned
    BANNED

Alfer
    Rory,
    I'd take published "specs" with a grain of salt...Listen for yourself and you will find what best suits your ears.

Alfer

6. RoryM

RoryM Auditioning

Good advice Alf, I'll have to keep that in mind from now on and not get caught up too much in specs. Turns out I can get a Harmon Kardon avr125 at a really good price from Futureshop (Best Buy owns them up here). Would that receiver and the N series speakers be a good match? Thanks

7. Edison Tinker

I think that you'd be pretty happy with that pairing! [​IMG]

8. RoryM

RoryM Auditioning

Well, turns out the N series stuff is a budget buster, so it looks like I'm 99% sure that it'll be the Harman Kardon AVR125 and the JBL SCS150SI speaker package. Hopefully I'll get it soon and then it'll be fun times for me!

9. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

!!! You're in Canada! Why not go for Paradigm, or axiom or something. You get an even better deal on those speakers in Canada, and they are a STEAL in the US. Not too familiar with Axiom, but I totally recommend the Paradigm Performance series. It will be better than those JBLs. Go take a listen, ESPECIALLY since you can take advantage of cheap prices up there in Canada.

10. Edison Tinker

I think that the whole point was to suggest stuff he could get at Best Buy since he can utilize an employee discount...but good call with the Axiom suggestion, if budget allows that's definitely a good choice [​IMG]

11. ChrisWiggles

ChrisWiggles Producer

LOl... yeah wow... never even read that. Still though, I don't know how much the BB discount is, but Paradigm, and Axiom are one hell of a bargain, and would easily best what's sold in best buy, perhaps outright, and any price, even with the employee discount. ALSO the fact that you are in Canada... I am envious for more reasons than just speakers. Anyway, you should take into account the prices with your discount, then see what you can take a listen to from Axiom and Paradigm and see how they compare. Even if they end up being a tad bit more, I think the vast improvement will be worth it. And lastly, don't think of your discount as a "stumbling block." It's a useful tool, for, say buying receivers, or dvds/cds etc. Don't be chained to best buy, because you can still find extremely good prices, that may be better than what you can get with your discount. For instance, would you buy Bose over Axiom just because you get a discount? I should think not. Don't NOT use your discount, but don't be chained to it either, and get out to some of your local competition and take a listen. Good luck. [​IMG]

12. RoryM

RoryM Auditioning

Well, I went out on the weekend and bought everything. Things changed around a bit and I ended up with N26's and an N center up front, N24's in the rear, Yamaha HTR-5560 receiver and the Sony SAWM40 sub. Sounds great in my room and I'm happy. Appreciate all the input from everyone.