What's new

First HDTV purchase: Philip 34” Widescreen 34PW850H (1 Viewer)

Michael Bryant

Auditioning
This is my first post so please bear with me.

This week Ultimate Electronics has a Philips 34” widescreen HTDV Monitor on sale for $969.00. From what I’ve seen in other ads and online this seems like a great deal.

The reason I want to purchase a direct view CRT is because I live in a fairly small apartment and I already have an entertainment center it will fit into perfectly. I’m planning on getting HDTV from Time Warner Cable. If anyone out there owns this TV or knows anything about it comment would be much appreciated. Is this a good deal or can I do better? Is there something else I should consider?

What other things will I need to complete my HDTV experience? I’m planning on getting a progressive scan DVD player.

Here are some specs:
Features:
•34" Real Flat™ invar picture tube
•Active Control™ continuously optimizes picture
•6 Widescreen viewing modes plus Auto
•Eye Fidelity™ progressive/interlaced line doubling
•Scan Velocity Modulation
•3D digital comb filter for finest picture detail
•20 watt audio with Incredible Surround™ sound
•Universal remote controller
•AutoFeaturePak
oAutoPicture™
oAutoSound™
oAutoMute™
oAutoLock™
Diagonal Size: 34 in Remote Control: Universal Remote Comb Filter Type: 3D (Motion Adaptive) Physical Aspect Ratio: 16:9 (Widescreen)
4:3 (Standard) Inputs & Outputs:
•Two HD Component inputs (1080i/480p)
•Component Video inputs
•Side stereo AV in with S-Video and headphone jack
•Rear stereo AV inputs/outputs with CVI and S-Video
In the Box:
•Universal Remote Control with batteries
•operating instructions
•warranty information
Height: 25.0 in Width: 36.5 in Depth: 23.0 in Weight: 166.0 lbs

I know I asked a lot of questions, feel free to comment on just parts if you’d like. Any feedback would we much appreciated.

Thank you in advance for all your help! :)
Home Theater Forum Rocks!! :D

Michael

Jim Mack

Auditioning
For a DVD player, check out the upconverting Bravo D2 in the Nov 04 Home Theater Magazine (review available online).

Does the Philips have a DVI or HDMI input for digital signals?

It's a good price, have you actually seen one in operation? Not that TVs are setup all that well at retailers, I just like to see what I'm buying, especially something as subjective as a TV.

Good luck!

Jim

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I would stay away from the Bravo units. Very good PQ, but flakey build quality, buggy software, and poor support from VIng. I don't think that set has DVI or HDMI inputs so I'd look for a solid Progressive Scan player or an older model Zenith 318 that still upconverts to 1080i over component video. What's your budget?

Michael Bryant

Auditioning
Thanks for the information guys.

I went ahead and bought the Philips TV. It does not have DVI or HDMI. I don’t have a set budget for the DVD player, but if I could get a decent one for under $200 that would be wonderful. The person at the store recommended the Denon 1710.

Also they convinced me to try out the Monster Power Home Theatre Reference PowerCenter HTS 1000 MKII line conditioner. Is this something that I need? I hooked it up, but I didn’t notice much of a difference if any. Tomorrow I’m getting my HD cable box form Time Warner. So I try it again with that and see if that has a factor.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I doubt you need the Monster Power Center unless you have really dirty/unreliable power. There are also much less expensive power conditioners out there that do a better job (check out Panamax if you're interested). I wouldn't bother w/ the 1710. It's not the best build and has an inferior single chip deinterlacer/mpeg decoder. In the $200 range i'd look at the older but much better Denon 1200 from ecost.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks