First-gen vs. compact Super Nintendo systems?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Eric_E, Jul 25, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Hi everybody,

The nostalgia bug has hit me again, and I'm thinking about buying a SNES. I was just wondering if there were any real differences between the original SNES and the compact redesign (besides the obvious size difference). Is either one any more reliable than the other? I used to own the original design and it was an absolute brick - took a ton of abuse and kept on ticking. Anyway, if anyone knows if either is more desirable, please share your opinion. Thanks!

2. David Lee

David Lee Stunt Coordinator

You can use S-video cables on the original model[ They use the same cables as N64 and Gamecube]. Much better picture.

3. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

4. Camp

Camp Cinematographer

My bad...I just did a google search and found the SNES did have a short-lived redesign in the US. Wow...I certainly don't remember that.

Cool.

5. Scott L

Scott L Producer

S-video may give you varying results. I used it on the old SNES and the picture was less than desirable on my 32" tv, saw a weird screendoor effect. It seems a good comb filter eliminates this on bigger screens but YMMV.

6. Michael St. Clair

I've had extremely good luck using s-video on SNES and N64.

Here is some info on adding S-Video and RGB to the SNES2 (making it like the SNES1).

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/snes2svid.htm
    http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/snes2rgb.htm

N64 also dropped RGB, which the SNES1 had.

http://www.gamesx.com/rgbadd/rgbn64.htm

These changes struck me as odd since they all (physically) used the same cables.

The NES2 (top loader) only had RF output. How dumb was that? Why did Nintendo always cheapen-up the second version of a console?

7. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

8. Eric_E

Eric_E Supporting Actor

Thanks for the advice, guys. I went ahead and got a first-gen system off of eBay the other day. Got a pretty good package of games with it, too - Killer Instinct, NBA JAM: Tournament Edition, Street Fighter 2, Super Mario All Stars, Super Mario Kart, Super Mario World, Super Play Action Football, Tetris Attack, Zoop. $49. Not bad, methinks.

As a side note, I was laughing out loud at some of the "marketing" people used while trying to sell their systems - especially the guy who tried to pass his extremely smoke-yellowed SNES off as a rare "two-tone" model! [​IMG]

9. DaveGTP

DaveGTP Cinematographer

I should have hit you up, I had a spare SNES with carrying case that I tried to sell on Ebay, but, I got a deadbeat 0-rating bidder. Too late [​IMG] Back up on Ebay it goes.

10. Graeme Clark

Graeme Clark Cinematographer

11. Michael St. Clair