What's new

First gen Apple Watch question (1 Viewer)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Hey guys,

I’ve been wearing a first generation Apple Watch since late 2015. I also wear a real Swiss Watch, but’s because I’m nuts. I like looking at my mechanical watch. It tells time very well.

What I’m really liking about the Apple Watch is the monitoring of my activity. When I go for my workout bike rides, I always use it track my rides. I’m really liking that it’s tracking my heat rate, distance and caloric burning. The most recent iOS updates now have the mileage readings even closer to the on-board cyclometer I have on the bike. I’d trust the on-board cyclometer as a more accurate reading of my distance. But it’s good to see the watch is doing that too.

I’m also really liking to use it to track walking and distance covered when I walk.

So with that said, I’ve been using the watch a lot to monitor my activity lately. But I get messages on screen that tell me things like, I did great last week, try to beat it this week or this month. I usually get these messages when I’m driving and I can’t see it as I’m concentrating on driving. I cannot see a way to access these messages later. Either on the watch or on the iPhone. Are these just momentary messages that are lost and no longer retrievable?

I’m pretty happy with the watch. I do notice that it takes a few seconds for apps to open or get started. I imagine if I upgraded, the new watches are much snappier. I tend to keep watches a long time. I might wait a bit longer as the battery life so far still manages to make it a full day. A new watch would be nice as it’s water resistant. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have my Wife’s Series 0 watch; she’s upgraded to the new Series 3. Battery life and performance is much improved on the new watch.

I don’t know how to see past notifications. But the “awards” can be seen in the iPhone Activity app.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Dave. I’ll try to catch the notifications when I can then.

I, not surprised to hear the new watches are much improved. :)

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
My mom has the original: very bad battery compared to the new one which I have. Also the original takes *forever* to install watchOS upgrades. And being truly waterproof is a big deal to me. For anyone still using the original, I would definitely upgrade this September when the latest Apple Watch is released.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Ted. I might upgrade later this year. We’ll see what Apple shows us in the fall. :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
My mom has the original: very bad battery compared to the new one which I have. Also the original takes *forever* to install watchOS upgrades. And being truly waterproof is a big deal to me. For anyone still using the original, I would definitely upgrade this September when the latest Apple Watch is released.
Yep. Exercise mode is also very slow to launch initially.

I use my watch series 0 as an exercise tracker. I’d like to find a $150 series 1 upgrade At $250+ it’s too expensive for me to upgrade for my minimal use.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Yep. Exercise mode is also very slow to launch initially.

I use my watch series 0 as an exercise tracker. I’d like to find a $150 series 1 upgrade At $250+ it’s too expensive for me to upgrade for my minimal use.
Besides the time, the most frequent use for me is head phone (Air Pods or Bose) and HomePod volume, pause/play +- 30 seconds for podcasts. The Apple Watch for me is priceless for that.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I can see that. My Watch wearing doesn’t align with my audio listening so I rarely use it for player controls.

Especially with the new watch, my wife uses it for GPS map directions when we’re on vacation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks