First Front Projector-Faroudja?

Discussion in 'Displays' started by Roger Ewing, Jan 4, 2004.

1. Roger Ewing

Roger Ewing Auditioning

I am wanting to move up to an overhead projector from my 8 year old Mitsubishi.

I was in a HT place this weekend, and spent quite a bit of time looking at the new Sim2 Domino 30. I thought the picture was Excellent. It was viewed on a 92" Firehawk screen.

I've been looking at a chart of specs in the Spring Issue of Digital TV magazine to compare specs.

Here is my concern and question:

Interestingly, this unit does NOT have digital I/O. It has 1 component and 1 Wideband Component (I presume that is S-Video).

But, on the plus side, it has Faroudja DCDi.

Others to compare to in the book are
    BenQ PE8700 (no Faroudjq)

InFocus 7200 (Doesn't say it has Faroudja in the book,but I read somewhere that it does); Has lower contrast ration;
    Optoma H76 (No Faroudja mentioned)

I'm tempted to go with the Sim2, as I did see a GREAT picture, both in HD and standard NTSC, and it appeared to have a lot of features for adjustment, etc. (Keep in mind I'm just starting the look, and don't know much about this stuff yet.)

Any feedback appreciated.

2. Kevin Korom

Kevin Korom Stunt Coordinator

I personally wouldn't buy a PJ that doesn't have a DVI input with HDCP/HDMI; you'll need it in the near future, if not right now.

As for the Faroudja, it's nice for analog interlaced inputs (satellite feed, cable box, LD player), but you wouldn't really need it if you get/have a top quality DVD player that already has it.

You might want to check out AVS Forum's projector areas, as that's where most of the PJ guys hang out...

www.avsforum.com

3. Roger Ewing

Roger Ewing Auditioning

Thanks for your reply. I'll check them out.