First Football Game! Players are Giant Pixels Head-to-Head! NOT happy.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by WilliamG, Aug 24, 2002.

1. WilliamG

WilliamG Supporting Actor

Moderate college football fan that I am, I sat down just a few minutes ago to watch a portion of the Texas Tech/Ohio State game. I'm thinking "my first college football game on my new Toshiba 50H81 widescreen!!" All was well until after the opening kickoff. Whe the camera pulls back to show both teams head-to-head in the first-down situation, the players were 'pixelized'! Most noticeable in the Texas Tech red/orange uniforms. I tried adjusting the sharpness. Not much better.
    Unhappy, I am!! Can I do anything about this? I don't want to go through the whole season this way[​IMG]

2. WilliamG

UPDATE:
    I just took a few minutes and played w/the picture some more. The situation got better (not GREAT) after I pumped up the sharpness from a VE calibrated 30 to80! But having lived with the lower-sharpness for the past several months I noticed the picture to be really edgy.
    Can anyone relate to this? I should have mentioned earlier that the ABC signal is OTA, the transmitter is really close because I get a near 'great' cable quality reception on this channel.

3. WilliamG

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeese?

4. John Royster

John Royster Screenwriter

unfortunately this is normal. Most owners of large HDTVs complain about football. typical scenarios are..

"close ups look great as do most shots, but when a far away shot like beginning of play is shown players are big fuzzy blobs."

I could be way off base here though.

5. kevitra

kevitra Second Unit

NTSC sucks. You have just found out how much it sucks. Hope for more HD football in the future.

You will eventually get used to it. The best football picture I can get is from my local digital OTA signals (non-HD).

6. WilliamG

Surely there must be a way around this, though, guys ...
    That'll teach me to brag a little too loudly about my bigscreen from now on (except for DVD's!)

7. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

HD upconverts look OK, but not great. Yes, it sucks. Having seen football on my friends 61" analog set, it sucked on that too.

The pixelation in the uniforms is most likely a lack of color resolution in the signal. I see this a lot on LDs, especially on animated sources with blocks of solid colors.

8. WilliamG

Bill,
    Well, it's just aggravating, you know. I mean, having spent $2100 on this a couple months back, compounded by some J6P friends that I REALLY wanted to show a good time this fall football season. I know what they're gonna say: "You spent THAT much for a TV and it doesn't even give you a clear picture" [​IMG]
    Guess I'll just have to wait and bring 'em over to experience DVD's.
    I don't have an STB yet. That'll come later.

9. John Chevalier

John Chevalier Stunt Coordinator

I thought the football games that i've seen looked pretty decent over cable. My cable isn't all that great but it still beats nothing. I'm just happy to finally watch a football game without squinting my eyes like i did on my 32 inch that I used to have. Not i have a 54 inach and it's awesome.

10. Bill Slack

Bill Slack Supporting Actor

WilliamG:
    I know where you're coming from.
    A few questions:
    Are you just feeding the antenna input directly into the ANT input on your set? I would try tuning the channel through your VCR and feeding it via composite into your set, instead. In the past, Toshiba TVs have had sub-par tuners (though, your VCR may not be any better...) -- still, worth a shot.
    Also, are you viewing in a stretch mode? Or 4x3 window box? I view most of my NTSC sports either upconverted HD (by the local affiliate) which is window boxed by them, or window boxed via my STB. In your case, you would window box it via your set (with gray bars.) I know that's not ideal, and perhaps your buddies will still poke fun of you, but just show them a movie and they'll shut up. [​IMG]

11. WilliamG

Bill,
    Yes, I *am* going directly from the antenna to the ANT input. I'll try what you've suggested and see what happens.
    And, yes, I am viewing in Theaterwide 1. Don't know if I can swallow going to 4:3 mode for that! [​IMG]