What's new

First Flexy Rack! Turned out great! (1 Viewer)

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Check it out!
(yes, yes i know those are BOSE :eek: , but just temporarily. The amp and the speakers belong to my dad's friend who's a Vintage Audio collector and is lending them to me for a bit)

It cost a bit more than I was expecting, but not a great deal more. For the customizability of the rack, it was worth building. The boards were from Home Depot, they were already black so we just had to cut to size and assemble it.

The rods cost a bit than i estimated, at about CDN$6 a pop. And we had no way to cut them, so they were a bit taller than I would like. Still, having them stick out a bit at the top doesnt make it look too bad.

This was a great, easy, DIY project, recommend to anybody who is needing a shelf or a rack of sorts.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
Thanks for the praise guys! :)

The two bottom ones are continuous.

Heh, yeah the gear is sweet, theyre the one from my dad's friend... a Kenwood KT-7300 tuner and a KA-7100 amp, in practically new condition. Beautiful.

Owen Bartley

Second Unit
Hey Nick, take a look at the top of the equipment shelves here. I know its blurry, but it should look familiar. :) This used to drive my old 10" sealed DIY sub, now its just kinda taking up space. I need to find something to do with it.

Andy Goldstein

Stunt Coordinator
that looks great! i ran a KA-8100 for years. it was the first piece of decent gear i ever owned. sold it to a friend 20 years later for 50 bux. then it got stolen from his house. nice, huh?

anyway, good job on the racks. here's a shot of mine:

and a close-up:

enjoy your gear!

ag.

Joe Hsu

Supporting Actor
Very nice! What were the boards intended for originally, being black? I wish I had known about those, since I just bought a bunch more MDF for a new rack (not going to bother with the PE laminate this time...I figure all the nice toys will take your attention away from the naked MDF).

And what thickness is that threaded rod? It's ******* huge!

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
If i remember correctly, the boards were intended to be for shelving. They were bout CAD$12 for a 96" long board.

The rods are 5/8" thick, but are plenty sturdy. Its flexing a bit in the middle for the middle board, but thats coz i miscounted the number of nuts and washers to get, and i didnt wanna drive back to home depot, so i decided to skimp out on putting in the washer and nuts on top of the middle board.

Shane Morales

Second Unit
When you get the chance use a hack saw to cut off the extra length of the rods. Just lower the top shelf about 1/8" and cut along the top of the nut. Then raise the top shelf back up a bit and it will look nice. Or just keep it that way. You might be able to add more shelves later.

Good choice with the 5/8" rod. That's the stuff to get. Nice and solid.

Jeezus, that's a really red wall.

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
hehe, yeah i kinda went overboard with the red.. but actually, its not that intense in in person, the digicam i used just doesnt capture reds/oranges very well. Also with the lighter colored ceiling and carpet, as well as the other stuff in the room, its pretty neutral and not overwhelming.

I might take a hacksaw to it sometime if the excess rod is really bothering me. Though hacking through eight 5/8" thick rods of steel will be no walk in the park :p)

MichaelDDD

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
Nice job, Nick!!! The rack looks really GOOD!! The extra length on the rods doesn't look bad at all. It's good that you got those black cap things to top the rods off. They complete the look. :)

You really lucked out w/the pre-colored shelves. MDF is a PITA to paint. It sucks up layer after layer of paint...and then all of a sudden it bubbles up. :angry: Argh.

I like the Red on the walls. It's bright, but different. BTW...you do know that picture frame is empty, right? :confused:

NickSo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Nick So
heh, actually thats a mirror, not a picture frame above the rack :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks