First Encounter...

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Surge, Feb 18, 2002.

1. Surge

Surge Auditioning

I bought my First DVD last night and Already have

a question. (Probably dumb to ask but then again if I

don't ask I'll never know). Anyway,The movie I picked up

was on wide screen (you know, like a rectangle not filling the full screen). My questions is, do the dvd players have a setting to change it to full screen or do some dvd's come in that formay only.

Thanks for NE reply's. Oh yea, The player is a HKdvd5.

Thanks.....

2. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

Well...
    Technically speaking the DVD format does have the OPTION setting inside the player which can make widescreen discs play fullscreen- however the feature has to be enabled on the disc, and so far very few discs have allowed this option to be used.
    A few players do offer a zoom feature allowing you to zoom in on the picture area in the middle and cut off the sides, but I'm unfamiliar with your specific player so I couldn't say if yours offers a zoom or not (might check the manual)... You may also find the digital zoom makes the picture look a little funky.
    Some DVD titles are available in both widescreen and fullscreen formats (some on a single disc, some in seperate releases)- but the majority of discs these days are widescreen.
    So, no, there is probably nothing you can do to make it fullscreen.
    However- you might want to do some research on WHY it is widescreen in the first place. Widescreen is a very, very important element of DVD-- allowing you to actually see the whole picture the way the director inteded you to see it.
    The HTF is very pro-widescreen... you'll find that most people here believe that watching the film in the aspect it was created is absolutely essential.
    You might want to read this:
    http://www.hometheaterforum.com/home/wsfaq.html
    or watch this flash movie:
    http://www.ryanwright.com/ht/oar.shtml
    to see how much picture you're missing with Fullscreen Pan&Scan versions of movies!
    -Vince

3. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Yes, many DVDs come only in the widescreen format. And just so you're not caught off-guard, you should be aware of this part of Home Theater Forum's mission statement:

4. Rod Melotte

Rod Melotte Stunt Coordinator

Funny thing about widescreen. You get used to it. At first I didn't like it.

I've seen French Kiss a few times in Full Screen (wife LOVES that movie). I watched it for hte 1st time last night in Widescreen. WOW - some of the shots are beautiful but you never see it Full Screen.

However - if your TV is less then 27in then I can see where a problem might lie.

Another funny thing. Before Christmas I was totally against this DVD thing. I had NEVER purchased a VHS movie and could not see why on earth DvD was such a hot thing.

Now - 18 DVD's later I can see why. The commentary trakes along are worth the price.

5. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Try watching your films in a darkenned room. Then rather than focussing on the black bars, you'll focus on the film between them.
    When a film is presented in widescreen, it maintains the original theatrical scope of the film. You get to see the whole film. If it is presented to fill your screen, you are losing landscape, and characters, and other important peices of information.
    With pan and scan, someone is hired to choose for you which parts of the filmed image to focus on. I prefer to make these choices for myself. In an appropriate setting, widescreen films in the home theater can mimic or even sometimes improve upon the experience of seeing it in the theater.
    Check out http://www.widescreen.org. There are some great flash elements and comparisons that will show you what you lose when you fill the screen.

6. Gregg Pearson

Gregg Pearson Auditioning

I have a 55inch widescreen TV and believe me, you get used to watching DVDs in that format. In my case, my TV has several different formats in which to choose. If I prefer not to watch in widescreen mode, I just hit the format button to change it. After a while, you will not even see the black bars. Just my two cents...

7. Surge

Surge Auditioning

Thanks for all that info Guys, I know this is just something

that I will have to get used to. Like I said it's my first DVD (MEN OF HONOR). so eventually i'll adapt to it. I still need a bigger TV though. (32" right now).

Thanks...............

8. Rod Melotte

Greg - lol - I certainly HOPE you get use to the black bars with a 55incher!! It's a little harder with a 27inch screen and if you have smaller then 27 inch I would not even try and op for Pan and scan.

There is a limit to how small a picture can be for 2.35-1

9. Brian E

Brian E Screenwriter

2.35:1 looks fine on my 25" TV. I would like larger of course, but it's what I have and it works fine.

10. Wes C

Wes C Supporting Actor

Hey guys, suck it up. Im currntly watching DVD's through my roomates 13 inch TV. My 27' WEGA wouldnt fit[​IMG] But even I am not bothered by the "black bars". You will get used to it, i promise.

11. Rod Melotte

Wes - lol - I hope you are sitting closer then 15 feet away :)

12. Gregg Pearson

Gregg Pearson Auditioning

Rod, I guess I am a little spoiled watching my widescreen TV. It sure is nice though. I bought it last year for the Super Bowl. Cant wait until I purchase my HT!

13. Jim Mc

Jim Mc Agent

Keep in mind as we move forward eventually the widescreen format will be the standard for TV manufacture.

I prefer and search for widescreen format. P&S only films usually get put down and not purchased. My real preference being the "Enhanced for Widescreen 16:9 format".

I like my 120" 16:9 screen. BTW widescreen 1.85:1 or 16:9 fills my screen to the edges. When viewing 2.35:1 I just roll the masking into place, no more grey bars.