What's new

first dvd supplement found for The Day the Earth Stood Still ? (1 Viewer)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
lately the bffc have been very good at uncovering some very interesting supplements for newer movies.

I found this

THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL - MOVIETONE NEWS SEGMENT
Video
Feature
Classified 23 September, 2002 .
Run Time 6m 4s
DVD additional material,
Advice for consumers
Theme or contentnone required
The main spoken language in this work is English.
The BBFC has placed this work in the ADDITIONAL PRODUCTION MATERIAL genre(s).
When submitted to the BBFC the work had a running time of 6m 4s.

This work was passed with no cuts made.
At the time of classification Twentieth Century Fox Home Ent. was the holder of the rights or the brand name for this work.
Directed by Robert WiseProducer(s) Julian Blaustein
The cast for this work includes: Michael Rennie, Patricia Neal.
A film or video, together with associated trailers may exist in several versions and all versions known to the BBFC are listed below.

CategoryTypeDateCompanyRun TimeCutTitle
Video23/09/2002Twentieth Century Fox Home Ent.6m 4sNoTHE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL - MOVIETONE NEWS SEGMENT
Details are likely to be more complete and accurate for the version submitted most recently.
When a film is transferred to video the running time will be shorter by approximately 4% due to the differing number of frames per second. This does not mean that the video version has been cut or re-edited.

Has there been word on a release date so far

cheers

Oscar

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
When a film is transferred to video the running time will be shorter by approximately 4% due to the differing number of frames per second.
I didn't realize this was the case. Sounds odd to me.
If this 4% thing is so, then how come nearly every movie I have or videotape or DVD has the exact same running time as the theatrical version (usually verified by Leonard Maltin's movie guide)?

Gordon McMurphy

Senior HTF Member
- Bob Wise recorded a commentary late last year.
- I'm pretty sure that retrospective interviews were made.
- Will it have its original mono and a DD5.1 remix?
It's a great film, it will really bolster my pre-1968 sci-fi collection! :D
Gordy

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
The DVD features a transfer made from a completely restored print. And I know when it is to be released. What I don't recall is if I am allowed to say anything beyond that. It will be a glorious disc, though.

GregK

Screenwriter
I've heard it will have a 2.0 stereo surround mix along with the original mono mix, but I do not have 100% confirmation at this time.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Jack for the update about the transfer. Have you found out in the meantime if you can spill the beans about a releasedate
;)

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Oh, okay.
Thanks Mark.
Didn't realize this.
David, not to derail this thread but to save you the search let me touch briefly on the speed up thing since it's easy to understand.
NTSC video (US, Japan, etc) runs at 30 fps.
Film runs at 24 fps. 30 and 24 are so far apart that special methods to tranfer from one format to the other are needed.
HOWEVER, PAL video (UK, for example) runs at 25 fps. To do a transfer in this case they just take the 24 film frames and run them at 25 frames per second. So they go through slightly quicker than they should. It makes for a simplier transfer (look into 3/2 pulldown to understand some benefits).
Thus the 4% speed-up thing. Films end up slightly shorter on PAL and the sound pitch goes up a bit (an 1/8th maybe?? I forget).
Nuff said on that. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
And thus the burden is lifted. Yep, it's March. Klaatu, berada nikto.

I've seen this film in 16mm and 35mm, and from what I hear I bet this DVD will look even better.

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I cannot wait for this. I can't think of the last title that I was this excited about.

Klatu Berrata Nikto!!

I hope Fox keeps up their pattern and makes this a deluxe 2 disc set w/ as many commentary tracks as they can pack in there.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
from the bits rumor mill

Finally this morning, look Fox's The Day the Earth Stood Still to finally arrive on DVD in March (with director commentary) as part of Fox's Studio Classics line. As you know, the first batch of titles from this line will be All About Eve, Gentleman's Agreement and How Green Was My Valley. An Affair to Remember will follow in the second batch. Look for My Darling Clementine to be part of this line in 2003 as well.

very cool indeed

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Finally we are getting a date nailed down. I know it had been rumored for Spring 2003 for awhile now, but it was hard to tell if that was just the standard "I want it then" rumor or if there was truth in it.

You know, by XMas 2003 there are going to be very few high profile titles missing from DVD.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Great news! One of the best SF films ever, and my 3rd fave from the 1950's, after Forbidden Planet and War of the Worlds, "Gort Berenga!":emoji_thumbsup:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks