First DVD Player : Advise between 2

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John Berggren, May 13, 2002.

1. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

Toshiba SD-2800
    and
    JVC XV-S300BK
    This is for a coworker who has similar tastes in film that I do, and was always good about borrowing VHS when I had them. She's looking at entry level "around $100".
    Anyone have thoughts between the two? You can certainly interject other available deals - preferably B&M.

2. Jack Briggs

Jack Briggs Executive Producer

I just posted moments ago in another thread about this: I have a Tosh 2800 in the bedroom system. It's a fine little machine and outputs a terrific image even through S-Video. The only complaint I would have--not a complaint, really, but an observation--is that the drive motor is a little noisy. But a film soundtrack easily obliterates this.

Since I do the so-called "squeeze trick" on my bedroom display, I look at 16:9-encoded discs in their native aspect ratio without the player having to do the downconversion algorithms. But, to help someone else here decide whether or not to get this unit, I did look at a 16:9-encoded disc once with the 2800 downconverting the image for a letterboxed 4:3 presentation.

The downconverted picture possessed a distinct "video" look to it. I don't know how critical your friend might be as a judge of video quality, but if this is not an issue with her I don't suppose she will even notice the artifacting.

Finally, you can get the 2800 real cheap!

3. Norm Strong

Norm Strong Stunt Coordinator

Apparently the 2 units you mentioned are not around $100, but rather $130. I saw a Daewoo 5700 at Target for $100; it has much to recommend it.

4. Nate Nelson

Nate Nelson Stunt Coordinator

5. Robert_Dufresne

Robert_Dufresne Stunt Coordinator

John

Canadian Consumer report rates Panasonic DVD-RV32 as best entry level player.

Robert

6. BrianKM

BrianKM Stunt Coordinator

Last time I was at Costco, they had two entry-level Toshiba DVD players (probably rebadged 1700s or 2800s) with the only difference being MP3 capability in the more expensive model ($117 vs $107).

7. John Berggren

John Berggren Producer

New Question:

Her television is an RCA model FLR460WR. It's old enough not to be on the website. Her connectors on the back include 2 sets of lined up "holes".

3 black holes marked B, G, R respectively,

and 3 holes that are:

Red, Green, and White.

The Red hole is marked R/B, the green marked G, and the white is unmarked.

Would any of these connectors allow for the standard RCA DVD connectors?