What's new

First DVD Player : Advise between 2 (1 Viewer)

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Toshiba SD-2800
and
JVC XV-S300BK
This is for a coworker who has similar tastes in film that I do, and was always good about borrowing VHS when I had them. She's looking at entry level "around $100".
Anyone have thoughts between the two? You can certainly interject other available deals - preferably B&M.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I just posted moments ago in another thread about this: I have a Tosh 2800 in the bedroom system. It's a fine little machine and outputs a terrific image even through S-Video. The only complaint I would have--not a complaint, really, but an observation--is that the drive motor is a little noisy. But a film soundtrack easily obliterates this.

Since I do the so-called "squeeze trick" on my bedroom display, I look at 16:9-encoded discs in their native aspect ratio without the player having to do the downconversion algorithms. But, to help someone else here decide whether or not to get this unit, I did look at a 16:9-encoded disc once with the 2800 downconverting the image for a letterboxed 4:3 presentation.

The downconverted picture possessed a distinct "video" look to it. I don't know how critical your friend might be as a judge of video quality, but if this is not an issue with her I don't suppose she will even notice the artifacting.

Finally, you can get the 2800 real cheap!

Norm Strong

Stunt Coordinator
Apparently the 2 units you mentioned are not around $100, but rather $130. I saw a Daewoo 5700 at Target for $100; it has much to recommend it.

BrianKM

Stunt Coordinator
Last time I was at Costco, they had two entry-level Toshiba DVD players (probably rebadged 1700s or 2800s) with the only difference being MP3 capability in the more expensive model ($117 vs $107).

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
New Question:

Her television is an RCA model FLR460WR. It's old enough not to be on the website. Her connectors on the back include 2 sets of lined up "holes".

3 black holes marked B, G, R respectively,

and 3 holes that are:

Red, Green, and White.

The Red hole is marked R/B, the green marked G, and the white is unmarked.

Would any of these connectors allow for the standard RCA DVD connectors?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks