What's new

First DIY trial, not so impressed. (1 Viewer)

Kudret

Stunt Coordinator
I recently got two older SVS drivers and wanted to try something quick to see what happens. I had a 2ft^3 speaker box that I used it to build a sealed sub with one of the drivers.The whole thing took me about 1 hr to finish.

I set all my speakers (Diva 6.1, 2.1, C3) to small and calibrated everything by using th RS SPL meter. Then I played some music and some parts of TPM including the exploding sphere. It suffices to say that I am not impressed. The bass that I get from Divas (when set to large) is so much cleaner and tighter. I should also mention that my room is 17'x33'x7.5'.

I guess the moral of the story is that, this is not so easy.

Mike Strassburg

Second Unit
Kudret,

First off hard to tell exactly what your expectations were: did you expcet it to sound great, or did you just throw something together to see how it would sound?

Couple of questions: how did you arrive at the 2ft^3 box size? Is that a recommended size for the SVS driver?

Is the SVS driver designed/recommended for a sealed application?

If most of the above answers are NO, then it seems pretty obvious why you weren't impressed. You can't just throw a sub in a box and expect it to sound good. Also that's a pretty big room for a single 12" sub.

Why don't you buy some Sonotube and build some SVS replicas with those drivers. Not hard to do and will yield much better results.....Mike

jeff lam

Screenwriter
Real Name
Jeff Lam
Did you think spending 1 hr and slapping a couple peices of wood together would produce exceptional results?

Spend the time and effort, carefully plan out your project, seal it up nice and tight, make the cabinet strong and sturdy. If you do all these things, you shouldn't have problems getting what you're looking for.

Kudret

Stunt Coordinator
Mike,
I used an old Whafedale speaker box that measures 13.5"x13"x26.5" externally (hence ~2ft^3). Removed all the ald drivers, sealed the front with a 13.5"x26.6" MDF and cut an 11" opening for the SVS driver.
>>Is the SVS driver designed/recommended for a sealed application? >
Did you think spending 1 hr and slapping a couple peices of wood together would produce exceptional results?

Dustin B

Senior HTF Member
You won't find large sonotube in HW stores. Look up concrete contractors in your yellow pages.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
Kudret,

I would like to commend you on your willingness to try something. While quick 1hr box conversions may not always turn out right at least you are collecting some data points. Now to make it really useful you could try simulating the box as it is to see what freq response you should be getting. Then try experimenting with stuffing - both in the actual box and in the simulation. Who knows, you may not be that far from having a decent sub.

Food for thought.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks