First DIY subwoofer

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Jim White, Jan 10, 2002.

1. Jim White

Jim White Auditioning

[​IMG] Hello, I'm new to the forum, but have been checking out all the post on DIY subs. The more I read the more confused I get. I have decided to build my own, but just what I'm not sure. I'm hoping for some opinions on what to try.
    The facts: I should be able to handle the construction of the sub, I'm an ok woodworker. The electrical side will be more of a problem for me. I'm intrigued by the SVS & sono-sub idea, but I'm not sure I can get used to the big round size of the thing. The room size is around 213 sq ft, with a fair amount of glass, carpeted and 8 ft ceilings. I would like to have some impressive sound for HT, but also plan on using the system for music as well. I would also like to make use of an old Carver amp that I have to power the sub, it's rated at 250/channel and can also be bridged. Total budget $300-$500. Any thougts on what would be the most bang for the buck would be appreciated. Thanks, Jim White.

2. Greg_R

Greg_R Screenwriter

Greg
    At the top of this forum you'll find a "SonoSub Projects" link that should give you a lot of ideas. A lot of people have used the Adire Tempest ($150) and Shiva ($125) drivers successfully in sonotube designs. A dual Tempest design driven by the Carver should give you more than enough bass...

3. Pete Mazz

Pete Mazz Supporting Actor

Any idea how large of an enclosure you can live with? A lot will depend on that. Two Tempests will give you incredible output, but require a larger enclosure.

Pete

4. Jim White

Jim White Auditioning

[​IMG] Wow! It's great to already be getting input on this. Thanks. I have been looking at the sono subs as well as the Adire Audio site. I'm impressed with the sound I'm reading about, but some of them seem a bit large for my tastes. I have been using an older Boston Acoustic sub, w/10" driver and 100 or 150 amp. It did OK for music, but lacked alot for HT. I quess I'm used to a medium sized box. Maybe it's time to start thinking outside the box, as the saying goes. Thanks again for your input. Jim White.

5. Rick Steverson

Rick Steverson Auditioning

Jim,
    These no reason you can't build a rectanglar cabinet of MDF for your subwoofer. Sonotube is a popular way to build a subwoofer for DIY'ers because it requires less bracing or none at all, is lighter than a MDF cabinet, and typically can be assembled a little quicker. But if the "silo" look is not for you, think MDF box with a veneer for appearances. The subwoofer internal volume is all that matters.
    Check Adire Audio at http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/shiva_experience.htm for some examples of Adire's 12" Shiva subwoofers and http://www.adireaudio.com/cd/tempest_territory.htm for Adire's 15" Tempest subwoofers. You will see both sonotube and MDF cabinets.
    Regardless of the type cabinet you prefer, I would recommend a serious look at both the Shiva and Tempest drivers.

6. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

Jim: While looking at the Adire's site, notice the one-piece power supplies that come with all the nice connectors, intensity knob, phase shift, etc., for about $125. Not a bad price to get all the subwoofer-specific toys and controls.

7. Fred Seger

Fred Seger Stunt Coordinator

Another good source of amps and drivers( and kits) is partsexpress. Their DVC and titanic drivers are resonable alternative to the adire products( I've used both with much success).
    I've built several "sonosubs", but I'm still partial to square or rectangular subs. There are some advantages to sonotubes, but also some disadvantages.
    As far as size goes, there are always work arounds. You can always go with the Jack Gilvey Teachings and use a LT circuit to bring down the size[​IMG]
    Decide how big you can go, and then the choices of the drivers will narrow a little bit. The carver amp you have will do just fine in most scenarios. $300-$500 will get you a great sub.

8. Jim White

Jim White Auditioning

Thanks again everyone for the input. Bob, I'll be sure to check out the control unit you mentioned. That has been one of my cocerns about using an out board amp. Would it cause more headaches as far as hook-up and control than having one built in with all the bells & whistles. Thanks, Jim.[​IMG]