first diy sub help

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by fred garvin, Sep 22, 2004.

1. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

i'm planning on building the 142.5L vented box (plans from adire audio ) i was planning to use a 12" dayton dvc driver for this enclosure since i allready own it. will the performance between the dayton and the shiva be that much different, especially to warrant the purchase of a shiva to use in the enclosure after i build it instead of the dayton. i apologize if this seems like a stupid question by the way[​IMG]

2. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    It's not a stupid question b/c you obviously don't understand the way speakers work. (Please don't take that the wrong way...I don't speak Greek, so I don't understand that...get it? [​IMG])

Every speaker has unique attributes (parameters) called Theile/Small (Ts) parameters. These parameters define the speakers' electrical and physical behavior and define what type of enclosure it needs and what size, etc.

Every speaker is different. An enclosure built absolutely to specification for Speaker #1 may be absolutely wrong and useless for Speaker #2, depending on their Ts parameters; i.e. how far off they are.

I know the Dayton is a decent, budget sub. The Shiva is a much better driver though, so I would opine that the Ts parameters are very different.

Bottom line: Bad idea. If you've got the Dayton driver, download WinISD or other "speakerbox program" punch in the Dayton's Ts settings and get your ideal enclosure that way.

Good luck!

3. minhG

minhG Stunt Coordinator

I dunno, maybe i'm just dumb (and happy!) but i don't know if it's as big a deal as Michael makes out. is it ideal? well no, the adire plan is for the shiva, but there are some folks who've adapted it for the Dayton Titanic, i think you could adapt it for the Dayton DVC.

Even as is, i bet it would sound ok, i'd try it--if you're not happy just drop-in the Shiva. DIY is about trying stuff!

If you're looking for some help with the plans, i believe PartsExpress gives you some basic ones to start out with.

4. MichaelDDD

MichaelDDD Supporting Actor

Mike
    I didn't mean to sound negative or uppity...please don't take it that way. If, electrically, the two speakers are very close (Ts params) then it would work fairly well. If they are far off, it won't. [​IMG]

5. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

i hear what your sayin michaelDDD, i should have mentioned that i have heard some say that the parameters for both drivers are quite similar, hence the reason why i thought this would remotly fly. i wanted to build the shiva box in case i ever get one, i could just drop it in. some have said the quality between the dayton and the shiva are very close, and some have said the shiva is much better. i have the dayton in a smaller vented box (from a polk psw505 box) with a 250 watt plate amp and about a pound of polyfill behind the driver without blocking the slot vent) and am pretty happy, but it dies out a bit below 30 Hz. this is the reason i want to build a bigger box. i figured it would solve that problem. i figure i'll build the box, see how the dayton sounds, if not good, i'll break down and buy a shiva and all should be well.

6. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

the dayton driver of which i speak is part number 295-185 on partsexpress

7. fred garvin

fred garvin Agent

looked at the specs, they are awfully close from what i can tell, plus, i just realized that they look identical too. either way, i think i'll stick to my plan, with the worst case scenario being i would have to buy a shiva if the dayton sounds that bad in the enclosure.
    does using the parts express 250W plate amp (no bass boost) seem kosher?

8. Bhavesh

Bhavesh Stunt Coordinator

Hi fred,
    I own that same 295-185 in a 90L box. You won't be disappointed. Both drivers are made by Eminence.
    They just took the design they had done for Dan Wiggins of Adire and modified it slightly for Parts Express.

9. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

The DVC and Shiva are quite similar in looks, build quality, and T/S Parameters. The T/S parameters are slightly different but you can use the DVC in enclosures spec'd for the Shiva, however, they tend to work a bit better in slightly smaller enclosures when compared to the Shiva.