First DIY sub help

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Troy R, Feb 26, 2003.

1. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

I'm thinking of building my first DIY sub. I have been looking at the Stryke AV12 and AV15, along with the Adire subs. I would like to keep it under $500 (all materials included).

The sub will be mostly used for music. I listen to bands like Dave Matthews, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Nirvana, The Beatles, Zeppelin, etc. I also listen to some Jazz and Classical. I want a sub that has nice tight "musical" bass (is that a low Q design?). it has to be pretty quick to keep up with my main speakers which are Dynaudio 1.3mkII's. I am going to use the sub from the 45hz region on down. The Dyn's have nice tight punchy bass down to around that region...

I'm not really sure where to go from there. I've got 2 similar sized designs in WinISD right now. I have a 142 liter vented Stryke AV12, tuned to 17 or 18hz. Or I have a 150 liter closed AV15. The group delay of the vented box has me a little worried about its transient response, but I like it's extension... I like the group delay of the closed box...

What would the differences in the designs be? What should I do? What would you do? Thoughts and help on my first project would be great!

Thanks!

2. Brian Fellmeth

Brian Fellmeth Supporting Actor

I would put a Shiva or Tempest into a large sealed cabinet and flatten the response with a BFD.

3. Chuck Bogie

Chuck Bogie Second Unit

What's a BFD?

4. www.behringer.com

behringer feedback destroyer dsp 1124P

we use it as a 12band stereo parametric EQ.

5. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

why do you recommend the shiva or tempest over the Stryke drivers?

6. Patrick Sun

Patrick Sun Moderator

Well, you did cite costs as a factor, and the Shiva and Tempest are relatively inexpensive (but require a bigger enclosure, and not so much power as compared to other drivers that cost more, needs less enclosure volume and perhaps more power). It's a trade-off.

7. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

i would call kyle richardson at acoustic visions and let him set me up with a av12 and a dt300. that gets close to $500 right there. should be a few bucks left over for an input cup and some paint and what-nots. seal it up in ~1cuft and start having fun playing with the dt300's built-in eq.
    edit: well then, $100-150 more just got added to the budget, woowoo!, av-15 and some veneer.

8. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

I'm willing to sacrifice cost for better performance give or take $100 to $150...

EDIT:

OK forget cost. I was going to spend about $900 on a sub anyway. I just thought a DIY would be more fun... I just want a musical sub with performance similar to an REL or another musical sub. The more I spend the longer I have to wait...

Thanks for the help!

9. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Any more suggestions?

help! please!

10. Jeff Rosz

Jeff Rosz Second Unit

well, dont spend no more than you have to. im still stickin with what i said before. sealed av series. maybe a bit bigger box. i'd spend any extra money on a great lookin box and better eq.

11. David Lorenzo

David Lorenzo Stunt Coordinator

Since you want a musical sub I would suggest going with the sealed AV15 and maybe a 380w plate amp. This would run you well below $900 and give good extension also. If you don't need 110 dB below 20Hz then I wouldn't worry about the lost extension compared to a vented design. Remember to factor in room gain when you look at the WinISD SPL charts.

Good Luck

12. Troy R

Troy R Stunt Coordinator

Thanks guys!

Would the difference between a sealed AV12 and sealed AV15 be a big one? (except for the box size of course)

Where are some other good sites to look for plate amps? I've been to PE, Adire, Acoustic Visions, etc. any other good ones? I need a plate amp that has a crossover down to 40hz at the minimum... would like it to go even lower to cover an upgrade in main speakers in the future...

Thanks again for the help! Much appreciated!

13. TonyiBe

TonyiBe Stunt Coordinator