first DIY question

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by kyle-sm, Dec 7, 2003.

1. kyle-sm

kyle-sm Agent

I want to build 2 bookshelf speakers just for fun, and to gain a little experience in doing it. I've already done a bit of wood working to make myself shelves, furniture, boxes........ and have access to a huge shop. What is the best I can do for about $100 in hardware/wood/baffles.

Also an unrelated question. Why does everyone use mdf? Why not use a real wood such as walnut or cherry? And also if you did use a real wood would there be any reason not to use dove tail joints?? These joints are stronger than screws so could this possibly be an advantage??

Kyle

2. perry web

perry web Stunt Coordinator

I am very new to DIY speakers but I do a lot of woodworking so I might be able to answer your MDF question. MDF is very stable (does not expand as much w/ temp and humidity changes) and the thickness is constant so it is easy to work with but the main reason, I believe, is that MDF is very dense or "dead". You do not get reverberations in the wood. I have read where people have used a nice beech plywood but it would be cheaper to make your box out MDF then veneer the box. IF you wanted rounded corners you can use 1/4 oak or maple plywood and cut it small and fit in 1/4 round molding in the corners. this would a nice finished look.

3. Hank Frankenberg

Hank Frankenberg Cinematographer

Yes, it's because of MDF's density/lower resonance that it's better acoustically for full-range speakers. It's a nice serendipity that it's also very inexpensive.

4. kyle-sm

kyle-sm Agent

no one has thoughts as good options for around $100??

5. RoyceDB

RoyceDB Extra

when I build mine, I want to cover it in either aluminum or stainless, because I have a "silver" theme in the room. BTW, what is MDF? I am very familiar with woodworking and all, just wondering what that means[​IMG]

6. Allen Ross

Allen Ross Supporting Actor

mid density fiber, you can also use 13ply baltic birch, it more expensive then MDF by far but you don't have to veneer, so BB is actually cheap and saves a ton of time IMO.

7. Joe Ku

Joe Ku Stunt Coordinator

These are supposed to sound pretty good and you should be able to complete them for under $100

http://www.speakerbuilder.net/web_fi...ts/DBP/dbp.htm

Another option would be the Audax Home Theater surround monitors. Parts express has the woofers and tweeters for these on sale. should bring the total down to around $100. I own these (I use them as surrounds) they sound very good but will require a sub for the low notes.

You could also try these
    http://www.wadsnet.com/~dtenney/dayton_8MT.htm
    You could build these ported also to extend the low end.

Good Luck