First DIY project in Toronto, looking for stores!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Nick_Shah, Mar 19, 2001.

1. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

In a month or so, I expect to begin my first foray into the world of DIY with a subwoofer (most likely), or perhaps a small pair of bookshelf speakers.
    At any rate, what I am looking for is a good Toronto-area store for components. I know of a few online retailers (Adire, PartsExpress) but I suspect the US exchange rate + shipping will be exorbinant.
    Are there decent stores in downtown Toronto, or perhaps the 'burbs that carries good quality components and has knowledgeable staff?
    -Nick

2. Chris Hoppe

Chris Hoppe Stunt Coordinator

Oh man! Somebody answer this guy! I am probably moving to Toronto next year! Tell me I won't be left out in the cold! (pun intended)
    Anyways, I doubt you will find any retail style store for this kind of stuff. There aren't even any in the states AFAIK. They all seem to be internet/mail order, although I know Madisound does 'will call' if you ask nicely!

3. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
  4. Mark Wylie

Mark Wylie Auditioning

5. Rick P.

Rick P. Stunt Coordinator

Another place to look for DIY stuff is Active Surplus (347 Queen West). Although they have lots of drivers most don't come with T-S specs - you'll probably want to look elsewhere for drivers. However for connectors, speaker cups, crossover components, bulk wire and odds-and-ends, it's tough to beat.
    Note: because it's a surplus store they sometimes have junk and sometimes have really decent stuff. If you don't see what you're looking for ask, and check back often.
    Hope this helps,
    Rick

6. Nick_Shah

Nick_Shah Stunt Coordinator

Thank you all for your help. I'll be checking out a couple of local stores, along with the store in Waterloo whose link is posted in a previous message.
    Also, a friend of mine suggested Above All Electronics at Bloor and Bathurst, so I will be looking there as well.
    Oh dear, it's going to be a busy weekend... [​IMG]
    Thanks again!
    -Nick

7. Robin Smith

Robin Smith Stunt Coordinator

Wow, a speaker supply place right here in Waterloo and I didn't even know!! Did you check out their prices?? For a Canadian store they look to be pretty cheap.
    Their CAN$ price on many accessories (grills, binding posts, ports, t-nuts, etc) is lower than the US$ price, even when you ignore exchange!!
    If only they could get Shiva's... does anyone know a Canadian speaker dealer that stocks Adire speakers (or the best/cheapest way to get a Shiva in Canada)

8. JohnnyG

JohnnyG Screenwriter

Check out http://www.globalsemi.com for odds and ends. They are traditionally a wholesale distributor and as such, there is no showroom to actually see the stuff in, but if you go and pick up, you can examine it before you buy.
    I'm pretty sure they sell direct to the public, but if not, I'd be happy to help.