What's new

First ..Daves Video of LA.. Now Tower records and books . (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
link is bad Paul. But I totally fall into the catagory. I'm not interested in 99% of the artists out there at the age of 25. They don't make music I want to buy

I buy 3 CDs from Japanese artists at $25-30 a pop because I know I'll get 80%+ decent songs for every US CD I buy.

Keith M.

Second Unit
I personally hope they go down in flames... This and other stores that feel $18 for cds and $27 for dvds are reasonable prices...If you want to be loyal to a store that has successfully screwed you out of your money, thats your perogative...

The only reason Media Play is still around is because they are a subsidary of BB...

:angry:

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
The prices are the fault of the record companies, not the stores. $18.99 is the list price for most current major-label CD releases, as ridiculous as it is. Record stores have to charge the list price as they would not make as much money off each sale otherwise (not accounting for sales lost altogether because of the price of course)- they would lose money if they priced them as low as Best Buy sometimes does ($9.99 for new releases for example).
I stand by The 11th Commandment, made more than 10 years ago: Thou shalt not pay $15.99 for a CD, neither shalt thou accept $12.99 as a sale price!

Paul D G

Screenwriter

$19 for a cd is ridiculous and I refuse to pay it unless there is no choice. In Madison, WI, where I used to live, there were two CD shops within a block from each other which sold CDs at $11.99 period. One even knocked a few cents off if you paid cash. This was only a couple years ago so let's say prices rose an extra dollar since then. One of these was a small indie shop while the other simply bought in bulk and distributed to it's three other stores in the state. Shops don't have to charge $19 if they want to, they can still make a tidy profit by selling several dollars cheaper. Greed, I say.

Incidently, I read that the guy behind Vigotone, a maker of top quality Beatles bootlegs got busted recently and was forced to pay $51k in restitution to the RIAA. First thing I thought of was "...and how much did the Beatles get? Probably as much as Vigotone paid them."

-paul

James David Walley

Stunt Coordinator
Wow...I hope it doesn't go under. Leaving aside DVDs, Tower is only one of two places that stocks classical music at all in the Seattle area. (HMV and Virgin have never appeared up here.) If they go, we'll have no recourse but Silver Platters (a small three-store "employee-owned" chain) or Amazon...

:frowning:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation233
Recent bookmarks