What's new

First ..Daves Video of LA.. Now Tower records and books . (1 Viewer)

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
They are all in the college areas here, but outside of those areas they're gone

The best used bookstores are in the same places too.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Interesting aside, I just spent the past month retouching the CD cover art for a small artist whose early CDs had reverted back to him - and he's simply using Cafepress.com's new CDR-on-demand service to sell them.

It was kind of fun for me, cloning out the old label info and so forth. But most amusing was how this is really bypassing everything, from store to label to distributor - all gone.

Obiously it doesn't serve the needs of artists who need to have actual stock on hand to sell at shows or to send to indie stores, but for albums which are no longer current and would only be bought by fans, it's another way that artists are bypassing stores entirely.

Originally he was just selling his old albums as downloads, but some people evidently don't have the time. Or maybe some just like album art. In any case, they tried it and it appears to be working.

Did I already mention that customflix.com is doing the same for DVD-R? I think I did...I may have told this entire story already. Sorry if I did, I need some sleep.

John Alderson

Supporting Actor
Where are all those claims that MP3's are helping the music industry, hmm? Bah. That's my favorite excuse from people trying to justify downloading MP3's, whereas we ALL know it's just so they can get stuff they don't own for free.

It amazes me that Tower in Harvard Square is still in business though... I've never been a fan of their prices. With Newbury Comics across the street and all the used CD stores in that area, I'd have thought it would go away a long time ago. When did HMV go away? I can't remember if I noticed it was gone the last time I was there. Surprised they lasted so long there, honestly.

I did buy the Criterion Spellbound DVD at tower last October, impulsively. Of course, I then had to send it in for an exchange, but that wasn't Tower's fault ;)

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
The HMV just closed a couple weeks ago, after a monthlong going-out-of-business sale (why, yes, I'll pillage at 40% off :)).

I'm not sure what keeps that Tower there, either - the last time I remember buying something there was when they were liquidating their Peanuts toys for $1.99 each.

Gary->dee

Screenwriter
Where are all those claims that MP3's are helping the music industry, hmm? Bah. That's my favorite excuse from people trying to justify downloading MP3's, whereas we ALL know it's just so they can get stuff they don't own for free.
You want a positive MP3 story? I got one for you. I downloaded 5 entire Pink Floyd albums that I didn't previously own. In turn I purchased 4 of those album CDs and I'll eventually purchase the 5th album I downloaded. I wanted the booklets that come with the CD's for the lyrics and artwork, which for me completely enhance the listening experience because I can equate a certain period of music with certain images pertaining to the album in question.
:)

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Oh, sure, there will always be the proverbial "record collectors" who just download and download so they can have the biggest stash, but, in general, I think that mp3s are serving the role that radio used to before all the playlists became the same, and the role that the single used to play before singles cost $10 or $11 each.

As for how to keep it serving those purposes, while avoiding the former ("record collectors"), I don't know.

Brian W.

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brian
I have to say the Tower on Sunset Boulevard isn't a real busy place lately. Whenever I go in there, there's very few people there. Virgin Megastore opened just up the road about three years ago, then when Amoeba Music opened last year it really took a chunk out of Tower's business. I would be sad to see it close, but, you know, since Amoeba opened I hardly ever go to Tower anymore.

Devin U

Second Unit
I used to go to tower alot. The used to be one right near me. About a year ago, I was heading over there and found out that the store was closed. turns out all the Towers' in Phoenix were closed, except for a superstore on the north side of town. It was a sad day. They allways supported local artists by selling thier CD's a great prices. Good Mag's, too.

Steven K

Supporting Actor
Newbury Comics is the best! Their new DVD prices can be a bit high, but I find that many of their used prices are pretty decent. Just a few weeks back, they were having a 30% off all used DVDs sale... I picked up Solaris (CC) for $13! They also had the ET boxed set for ~$25 and the X-Files season sets for around $65.

Mehdy

Stunt Coordinator
Ok gang: I put My money where my mouth was...I went to tower today and bought the following: what do you think...

1-The Mission two disc special edition 26.99 + Tax

2-Star Trek nemesis widescreen editon 24.99+ tax..on sale

3 Speed Racer Limited edition 22.99+tax

4-Absolute Beginners 9.99+TAX ...on sale

5-Yu-Gi-OH vol 3 19.99+ Tax

6- High Fidelity 14.99 + Tax
I have having a grad party with guests thru the weekend and
instead of going to best buy or frys....I took the chance...
was it worth it??????????:star:

Page

Stunt Coordinator

Unfortunately, I don't think your purchase is going to keep them solvent.

I used to love Tower Records on Sunset. Saw The Jam there when they were signing copies of "All Mod Cons". Tower was the place to go on Christmas Day if you got tired of hanging around the house because they were opened 365 Days a year until midnight!

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
I remember Tower for the selection they had and prices that weren't that bad.

That was years ago. Their marketing strategy put them in trouble. While Circuit City and Best Buy have loss leaders in DVDs to bring in store traffic (and profitable impulse purchases) Tower's new release prices (has others have commented on) were turning people off. If they can't figure that out they don't deserve to be in business.

For the guy in Seattle who can't think of a place to purchase Criterion titles ... DVDplanet will do the trick. Want something you can physically touch .. bet there are a few Borders Bookstores and Music in Seattle.

They are high priced though as well as Virgin as well as Sam Goody. Don't think there is an dramatic shortage of high priced retail outlets.

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit

Sorry to say, but you got hosed. I purchased mine at Circuit City 12.99+tax & ain't even gon' get into how much I paid for The Mission & Star Trek: Nemisis. Tower about ten or twelve years ago use to be the place but I think their time has passed.

Mehdy

Stunt Coordinator
Wow and the 24.99 PRICE was a SALE price, tower's regular
price for this movie was 29.99...that's why I picked up this
marginal buy....ten bucks difference on speed racer...shitttttt....what did you pay for the mission, I am
taking about the 2 disc special edition just released..not the single disc(if there was one)...????????

Dean Kousoulas

Second Unit
It's a shame that Tower is heading under, while stores like Suncoast and Sam Goody are still in business. Last time I went into a Sam Goody, they were charging $20 for some cd's, that I could find at Circuit City for $14. Not to mention their dvd's are all full price. Same goes for Suncoast.

Dean

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, Suncoast/Sam Goody is also closing stores. What keeps them in business is covenient location and a larger selection than what you'll find in a department store; while you can find new releases dirt cheap at Best Buy, there are catalog/foreign/niche titles you won't find there at all (or so the theory goes; the BB near me has a pretty decent selection in everything but "foreign").

Daryl Stovall

Second Unit
As far as foreign/obscure titles are concerned, if can't find it at Laser Blaser (in West L. A.), I bite the bullet and order them online at Amazon UK or UK Blackstar.:D

Paul D G

Screenwriter
An article appeared today on Business Wire which essentially states that while downloading music is cutting into CD sales, another huge issue is the lack of decent music for mature buyers.

I share part of this article because it refers back to my comment that I can never find what I want at places like Tower.

http://home.businesswire.com/portal/...ewID=news_view

I certainly fall into this category.

-paul

[edited 6.06 to give proper URL, hopefully. Tested on my end by pasting directly in new browser window and it worked]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks