What's new

First Blu-Ray titles from Sony, Lionsgate: May 23 (1 Viewer)

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
And here's Lionsgate: Note that the Sony press release indicates, amongst others, a Best Buy launch. So long to one big-box retailer being exclusive to HD DVD.

Kelly Grannell

Second Unit
What? I have to agree that 1080p is actually warrants $500 more on a player that may or may not even be released on time? From a company that's famous for releasing dud formats such as MD, Betamax, Bean MP3 player, UMD (yes, it's a failure, that's why they're cutting down on production).

I WANT BD to win, but the way things are, it's doesn't seem like it's going to win.

Oh, and you've won the rudeness awards.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member
i'll be impressed if this pans out.
it means that things will be much, much closer in the fall, which is when i will be laying down money on a player.

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Right now, it looks like the big Superman set is going to be the deal breaker for me. If that thing gets formally announced for Blu-Ray, I'll more than likely pick up a player in the fall. I see a few other titles on those lists that I'll be picking up too (especially looking forward to the two Terminator films).

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
Superman is enticing, but a Star Wars 6-film boxset would force me to give Blu-Ray my money, my car and maybe even a vital organ or two. :D

BrettGallman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brett
Well, yeah, Star Wars would do that for me too; I'm just thinking realistically. ;) Even if Star Wars was coming to HD-DVD only, I'd cave in easily.

Jesse Skeen

Senior HTF Member
$39.99? That's too close to Laserdisc pricing for my blood, though there were a number of $34.99 DVD titles not too long ago.

Juan C

Second Unit

Many many Criterion DVDs are $39.95. And they sell well. You just wait for the Deep Discount DVD sale period. ;)

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
You know, I would plunk down the ~$1800 for the Pioneer Elite right now if I thought Blu-Ray was going to be the clear winner. But honestly, with all the specs for HDMI and such still seeming to be somewhat up in the air (please correct me if I am wrong), I hate to buy a first-gen player and find out it's not as good as the second-gen players at half the price point.

Short of all 6 Star Wars films and/or the LOTR:EE's being released in the format in 2006, I can't see any reason why I shouldn't wait until 2007.

Also, any bets on what ratio Lionsgate's BD Lord Of War will be? If they crop it to 1.78 like the DVD, they're idiots. If they don't, they're liars. :)

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
Still on the fence. But a really good disc of "The Sound of Music" might get me to budge a little.

Paul_Scott

Senior HTF Member

Who needs SOM when you'll be able to get Fantastic Four and League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen? Not to mention Resident Evil: Apocolypse.
And i venture to predict, sooner rather than later, ...
INDEPENDENCE DAY!!!!

hell, thats worth the the $300-500 premium over an HD DVD player right there.

seriously, would love to see Fox pony up some R&H titles early (no reason they can't either, since they're issuing SEs of these on standard def- new masters are obviously available), as well as things like Towering Inferno, Seven Year Itch, Sand Pebbles, etc

and by the time they do start putting things like that out, B-d players should be in the $3-400 range- so i don't see much point in throwing $1K out now on one.

Yumbo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chris Caine
Went by a Sony store yesterday, and they had an HD loop running to show off their LCDs.

Of course, the salesperson had no idea what it was, nor anything about PS3 and Blu-Ray.

"Do you need a Blu-Ray TV to show Blu-Ray discs?"

Didn't even know what the LCD could do.

Everything was given and set up by Sony. It was an HD generator hard drive loop.

The picture did look good.

With that opening line-up, no thanks, and no thanks to the price(s).

I have a 50" component plasma.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks