What's new

First attempt at Web Page...not going well. (1 Viewer)

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I'm having trouble with a web page. Aside from the fact I have no idea how to even get started, I can't seem to get anything to show, except for the main page.
Check it out- http://home.cfl.rr.com/doriplace
That page is sort a placeholder, to see if I could get anything there.
I've uploaded a few images to the /images folder, but can't seem to link to them, and get them to show. There should be a pic at http://home.cfl.rr.com/doriplace/barneyclose.jpg , but I can't get it to appear.
What am I doing wrong here?
Yes, I am WAY late to the game, particularly since I work in the semiconductor field. The irony is not lost on me.:)
I'm trying to set it up with FrontPage 2000.
Todd

Eric Samonte

Screenwriter
Frontpage as far as I know (which isn't much) is a bit picky on where it wants to be "published". I also had a hard time trying to put it up on MSN and at the local RoadRunner webpages like ur doing. I instead had to publish it all in angelfire. Try calling tech support at RR,..sometimes ( and I stress sometimes), they can help. Later on, u know, I did got to have it in RR, but was there for only a short time as I already changed ISPs.

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
I see your 5 images at...
http://home.cfl.rr.com/doriplace/images/
What name have you given to this page where the images are stored? The defult is "index.html" unless you tell it specifically to look for another name by doing the following for example...
http://home.cfl.rr.com/doriplace/images/photos.htm
Note that above, I have named the page "photos.htm" instead of the default "index.html"
Take a look around my own site which should give you an idea on how to arrange directories and pages for your own site. I keep a seperate sub directory for every page on my site and I keep the default "index.html" as the name for each page so my main page is...
Link Removed with the page named "index.html" by default. Note that I could also call that url by Link Removed but "index.html" is the default anyway.
Now look at another page on my site...
Link Removed
Again, "index.html" is the name of that page so I can drop that from the end of the url.
and another page...
Link Removed
Try the same convention and see what happens. start by giving us the name of the page/file where you have those 5 pics saved. Use that at the end of the url you gave us.
Good luck

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
It's good to know a smattering of HTML when putting up a page. It allows you to make quick adjustments to your pages without having to open up Front Page or some other elaborate, bulky authoring program.
This is where I learned HTML in an afternoon: http://www.davesite.com/webstation/html/
In fact, you will find that Frontpage puts in a lot of unneccesary code into your page. Not that it's a big deal now that most people have 56k modems, but the code can be hard to disect.

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
Neil,

For some reason, I can't get any of your pages to come up. Keeps timing out after a long wait.

The image link above- if I wanted to insert an image into a post here (or other places on the web), is that a valid link? The picture (barneyclose.jpg) is in that exact location, but when I click on that link, I get "page not found."

I can go to the images directory, and click on the links to get the pics to come up, but again, for some reason, I can't get them to appear as images in posts (they are 800x600, 60K or so- is the size the problem?). For now, the whole purpose is to get those old car pics posted and linkable to advertise the car for sale at various websites.

Totally confused.

Todd

Neil Joseph

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil Joseph
Z28two.JPG

Right-click on the image, then properties to see the address

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Not really h elping out much here, but all Ican say is stick with it! I preserved my First Webpage before Prodigy Classic Went under. Link Removed .
Notice the hunt and peck type nature of my typing, and the refusing to double check my spelling :). A Year earlier, I was just starting to get online for the first time, and wondered why my NG posts, typed all in caps no less, whern't showing up immediatly. Ahh, those where the days.
Of course, you can check out the base address of that site to see what my current pages look like. I don't think their too bad, considering I'm self taught....

Todd Hochard

Senior HTF Member
I figured it out. the .jpg extension is in caps (the resize feature of WinXP must have done that for me). Apparently, it's case sensitive. I thought I could quit worrying about that long ago. :rolleyes
Thanks, Neil, for the help.

Ken Chan

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ken
The server that is actually hosting your page could very well be a Unix-based (Linux, FreeBSD, Solaris -- Mac OS X :) ) server, which is case-sensitive.
Even server software that runs on Windows might check case sensitivity so that things won't happen to work on Windows, and then break when you move to a Unix server.
//Ken

Darren Lewis

Supporting Actor
I first started learning HTML and webpage stuff almost exactly one year ago. The case-sensitive stuff is a real pain. Some servers don't mind but a lot still do.

I created a few "rules" for myself. Might not be the best way, but they work for me. Check out my sig for my latest creation.

1. Name all the files in complete lower case. Don't use any caps.

2. Stick to one extension either .htm or .html (either seems to work OK.

3. Keep all site images and icons in one directory eg /images. Easier to refer to, and you know where everything is then.

4. Make sure each folder has an index.html page even if that page is blank. This can be useful if you want to stop people seeing your directory listing.

5. Server paths and links can be a pain, especially when you need to update them. Design your site on paper first and name all the directories how you want them. Changing at a later date can be a tedious job.

I can really recommend "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Crating a Web Page". I read that book and learned a heck of a lot from it.

There are a few threads on here on which software to use etc. I won't go into that, but use whichever you find easiest and which works for you.

Good luck!

Darren.

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks