First Alice Faye Film On Dvd !!

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Joe Caps, May 3, 2003.

1. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

iMAGE eNTERTAINEMENT HAS ANNOUNCED THE FIRST aLICE fAYE FILM TO BE RELEASED ON dvd - and ITS A RARITY - 365 NIGHTS IN HOLLYWOOD. Its from 1935 and shows Alice early in her career. Past vid releases have concentrated on her later color film period 1940-45. None of her earlier black and white has shown up except for On the avenue.
    Now is the time for Fox to think of releasing her films on dVD. They could also include some of the filmed outtake numbers that are in the vault. AND they could throw in Alices last fox film, the 1962 Rodgers and Hammerstein Stae Fair which has never been released letterbo on vid or laserdisc. even the letterbox version shown on Fox Movie Channel is only a 1:85 version, NOT the original 2:35 version.

2. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

You're wrong, Joe

Several of Alice Faye's B&W films have been previously issued by Fox:

ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND and POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL were released on VHS and Laserdisc

TIN PAN ALLEY, IN OLD CHICAGO, and STOWAWAY were released on VHS

While I too would love to see Ms. Faye's films on DVD, it is questionable how many of them would be profitable for Fox to release. I would assume ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND would perform honorably, but I don't know about many of the others. I can say that I'd buy anything of hers that arrived on DVD, but I know I am not representative of the typical DVD consumer, or even the typical DVD classic film enthusiast.

3. SteveP

SteveP Second Unit

Surely THE GANG'S ALL HERE would sell well by virtue of the banana number alone!

4. Joe Caps

Joe Caps Cinematographer

The important thing, I thought,was the first Alice Faye on DVD and from a period in her career that few people know. She made a ton of black and white musicals in the 30s. None are on dvd and only one, Alexanders Ragtime Band, made it to laser ( the rumor is that this title wil be on DVD with the three nuimbers cut from the film as a supplement.)

5. Roger Rollins

Roger Rollins Supporting Actor

POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL also made it to LD (and although it is about as not B&W as you can get THE GANG'S ALL HERE did make it to LD...and not to VHS as I recall).

ROSE OF WASHINGTON SQUARE made it to VHS as well. Another B&W Faye film I neglected to mention.

It would be terrific if Fox were to release ALEXANDER'S RAGTIME BAND on DVD, but I would be very (happily) surprised if they knew were savvy enough to release it.

6. BarryR

BarryR Supporting Actor

BARRY RIVADUE
    I'd be happy to see HELLO FRISCO HELLO [​IMG]

7. Greg_M

Greg_M Screenwriter

I would guess "THE GANG'S ALL HERE" would sell (for the lady in the tutti fruiti hat number alone) and Rodgers & Hammerstein's STATE FAIR would also sell (at least over a period of time.)

Unfortunately for Alice Faye fans, I don't know any other of her other films, since FOX rarely screens them.

8. Doug Bull

Doug Bull Advanced Member

Doug Bull
    Itoo would love to see Alice Faye on DVD, but seeing as we already have respectable Laserdiscs of "Alexander's Ragtime Band" and "The Gang's all Here", I would much rather see some of her other movies come to light on DVD first.

"HELLO FRISCO HELLO" stands out alone with it's AA winning song "You'll never know". It is a must have!

My other favorites include,
    "That Night in Rio" ( also a classic must have)
    "Weekend in Havana"
    "Tin Pan Alley"
    "George White's Scandals"
    "Wake up and Live" ( I really like that one)
    "In old Chicago" ( more drama than musical)
    "On the Avenue"
    and of course the "State Fair" remake with Pat Boone.

Fox should look at what Universal are doing with Bob Hope, Bing Crosby and Burns and Allen and release some of these films as doubles to help sales and cut down costs.
    How about it FOX?