What's new

first 56 pt convergence, sharper picture, did I screw up the geometry (1 Viewer)

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
Hi,
I picked up a 56pt convergence template and just finished doing my first convergence. It took me a little longer than I thought it would (about 2.5 hours). It seems as if the picture has gotten sharper but the geometry seems to be a bit messed up. I used a template for the 50HX81 would this be the same template I would need for my 50HDX82. I put it on the screen so the circle was centered and then matched up the crosshairs where I could. Some of the lines were well off the marks on the template so I mitgrated the lines over one by one, was I supposed to do this or did I screw up the geometry by moving the lines a lot to match the template. Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Greg

Bert L

Auditioning
Where can you get a convergence template I would like to do mine. Can i get one from the Internet.I also have a 50hdx82.

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine at The Next Big Thing, you can order them from their website nbtelectronics.com. Unfortunately it doesn't look like I did it right the first time, my fiancee came downstairs to comment that everyones heads look funny.Hopefully this is easily correctable by me.

Greg

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Make sure you used the one for the right mode.
There are separate templates for 480p; Full, TW1/2/3 and 1080i (though the grid is labeled 1125i on mine, Japanese standard, but is correct for 1080i -- this is moot if you downloaded them and brought it to a printer.)
Other than that, you should be aligning the green grid to the lines on overlay. For the life of me, I can't get the horizontal geometry perfect, though the vertical is nearly perfect. I only notice it on slow pans and a stationary camera rotated upwards.
If the lines were all slightly in, that makes that you had less than 5% overscan, is that's what they grids are setup to give you. Moving them back to 5% isn't the best idea since it would have been better to adjust the HIT/WID parameters instead, though it's not a very big deal. But you can stress out the convergence circuit too much (first you'll see very strange and obvious picture interference, and then the CRTs will go into a safety mode.)
As you can tell, I've screwed up my own set quite a few times with my own curiosity. I'm afraid I don't treat the poor dear very well, but it's still working. :)
BTW, there's no need to have an overlay in order to do convergence. You can just converge red/blue to green and straighten out any lines in their current position using strings. Completely re-doing the geometry is a pain and something I have never been completely satisfied with (though, it may be a matter of perception and my own pickiness; in actuality, I notice a plethora of geometry and linearity errors on sets in stores and that my friends own -- and mine is much better than most, even with the reservations I have about it.)
Make sure you moved the correct lines too. I've had an extra added in once! It was quite obvious when I went back to real programming. :)
And again, FULL for 480i/p is NOT the same as FULL for 1080i.
Whew.. I hope all my ramblings made sense!

Gregg Loewen

Founder, Professional Video Alliance
Insider
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gregg Loewen
Bill,

LOL!! (and lots of rambling)

On the newer Tosh's there is only 1 convergence template as 480 is upconverted to 540 which = 1080.

Greg,

I am not sure what is causing your problem. Please confirm that your DVD player is set to progressive and 16x9, then make sure your TV is set to Full mode.

Regards
Gregg

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still not 100% sure what is wrong. I could tell for sure that the Geometry is off, I watched some of LOTR and then some Law & Order in HD and people's head looks very square and the top & bottom 5-10% of the screen seem to be squished. I used a template for the 50H81 and I did the convergence in full mode? I don't have a progressive dvd player (Yet) but the one I have is set for 16:9. If anyone has the dimensions of how far apart the gridlines are supposed to be (right to left, up to down) then maybe I can check and see if I moved some of the lines to the wrong grid points?

Thanks,
I guess they're right a little knowledge is very dangerous
Greg

Bill Slack

Supporting Actor
Duh on the 480p->540p. Whoops.

I couldn't find the spacings on the 50", but they should ALL be evenly spaced (though, keep in mind you can't select every space that the lines cross, but that doesn't mean those shouldn't be spaced evenly, as well.)

Greg_Ritchie

Stunt Coordinator
I'm not sure why you'd even bother to post that reply,but to clear things up I meant L&O Special Victims Units, it's in HD every Friday night.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks