First 2-channel kit

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Andy Anderson, Jan 31, 2002.

1. Andy Anderson

Andy Anderson Second Unit

Folks-

I'm new to the DIY world (the only thing I've made so far is Flexy -style speaker stands), and would like to set up a DIY 2-channel system. I'm not as hardcore as some of you, and by no means a wiring guru. I've been perusing Zalytron and Madisound. Could someone suggest a great 2-channel bookshelf speaker kit that's around the $500 and below mark? (I plan to do a DIY or kit sub as well--would love suggestions for those too.)

Thanks guys,

Andy

2. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Are you going to build your own cabinets?
    I would recommend an excellent kit from GR-Research. The paradox1's or the AV1's can both be completed for under $500 and will sound excellent. They are very simple to build too. The crossover is only 5 components and is a series network, they also use the highest quality components like all foil inductors. I just built a pair of AV1's a little while ago and they are outstanding. I can't wait for Brian Bunge to build the kit and compare them to his ACI emeralds.
    http://www.gr-research.com/
    Give them a look.
    Also look for kits from Partsexpress, madisound, ACI, and speakerpage.

3. Andy Anderson

Thanks Jeff-
    I wasn't actually planning on building the cabinets. I might do that later on as I build some more, but for now, I was looking for an overall kit.
    I know--most of y'all are calling me a poser, right? [​IMG]
    Give me some time, and I'll be making Sonotubes with the rest of ya. [​IMG]
    Keep the suggestions coming, y'all. I'm a newbie in DIY for sure.
    Thanks.

4. Loren Jones

Loren Jones Agent

Andy,
    There are a ton of kits available out there for that kind of money. I am sure you saw the Aria 5 and Wonder at Zalytron which are solid choices. You should also check out www.dillonacoustics.com The Metaphor, Ego, and Attitude should all be excellent 2 way standmount (not bookshelf) speakers in the $400 to $500 range. Another great choice is the 1801 by Dave Ellis/Dennis Murphy found at http://home.attbi.com/~ellisaudio/kits.htm There really are a ton of 2 way standmounts available in this price range that can compare favorably with really expensive commercial stuff.
    If you tell people more about your system, your music likes etc they may be able to help you more. BTW, my disclaimer is that I am speaking not from experience with any of these kits but only from second hand knowledge from having hung around and surfed for awhile.
    Loren Jones

5. Brian Bunge

Brian Bunge Producer

Jeff,
    The AV1's have 5 components in the crossover? Geez, the Emeralds only have 4![​IMG] Yes, I placed my order yesterday. Got any idea how long it will take to get from TX to GA?
    Brian

6. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Brian,

Well, they actually have 7 components but two are bypass caps and are wired parallel with two other caps so the two components in direct parallel act as 1 component. That's how I see it anyway. BTW, you'll drop your eyeballs when you see the inductors. Also, you will have to cut the inductor leads back a little to keep them from shorting to any other components. Just a tip. It seems several people at audioasylum didn't do this and it caused shorting problems.

For my kits, It took exactly a week to get from TX to CA.

You should have them by next thursday or friday.

7. Andy Anderson

Thanks for the help guys! I'm giving all of those choices some serious consideration.

As far as my musical tastes, I listen to almost everything. Rock, jazz, classical, acoustic, bluegrass, soul, funk, you name it. One day I'll listen to Tool and Radiohead, the next Bela Fleck and Patty Larkin. My tastes run the gamut.

My current HT system consists of a Marantz SR7000, B&W 603 S2 mains, B&W LCR6 S2 center, B&W 602 S2 rears, and an SVS CS Ultra sub with Samson S1000.

I'm looking to build some attractive/furtinture grade standmounts to use for a dedicated 2-channel system. I plan to set this up from the ground up. I'm looking for quality materials, but don't really want to spend an arm and a leg. I'll be looking for a sub kit with similar aesthetics/performance.

Keep the suggestions coming, I'm eating them up. I'll be out of the country for a week starting tomorrow (off to Thailand for a bit of vacation and to visit family)--just wanted you to know, so that when I fall silent you know I'm not ignoring. I'll look up the thread when I get back.

Thanks very much everyone, I'm excited to get started!

Andy

8. jeff lam

jeff lam Screenwriter

Jeff Lam
    Andy,
    I have a feeling that if you get a nice DIY kit such as the AV1's or emeralds, you might be asking for trouble because once you hear them you'll want to get rid of those B&Ws and replace them with the new DIY speakers.[​IMG]
    Just giving you warning in advance.[​IMG]
    BTW, an Adire Audio Rava would be perfect for a 2-ch music only system. Maybe you could use the same design in your DIY sub, but I doubt it will be much cheaper with all the same components.

9. Andy Anderson

I actually went to visit Adire Audio a few days ago with some friends (they're right here in Seattle), and met Brian Bishop. We wandered down there thinking they might have some sort of storefront facility. Not so much--but they showed us around anyway. He showed us around his shop, their prototyping facility, etc. They also let us listen to the "Bang"--the speakers that started the company.

Brian was very cool, and seemed a very down-to-earth guy. I will probably use some of their products in the months to come. I have been considering the Rava sub too.

10. Kendal Kirk

Kendal Kirk Stunt Coordinator

11. Dan Wesnor

Dan Wesnor Second Unit

I'll vouch for Dillon Acoustic. I built the Attitude and it's fantastic. Geoff also gave me some good info in tuning the x-over for my taste. I'll also vouch for Dave Ellis, who is a super nice guy. I've never heard his stuff, but have heard glowing reviews from other speaker designers. All of these kits use the Hiquphon tweeter, which is phenominal.

Dave will build cabinets for you, his prices are on his web site (link above). If I read the site correctly, a pair of Attitude cabinets would be about $150 in raw MDF.