What's new

Firs Time Home Theater Questions... (1 Viewer)

cc00lltt00nn

Auditioning
Real Name
Colton
I am planning a projector setup in my new home theater room. I've got a few questions concerning the setup. I would like to connect my XB1, Xfinity Box, projector, and Apple TV to all play through the speaker system I select. I'm looking at two different setups:

1) Epson Home Cinema 3500 Projector

2) Denon AVR-S510BT 5.2 Channel Receiver

3) Vizio 5.1 Channel Soundbar system with satellite speakers SB4051-C0

or

1) Epson Home Cinema 3500 Projector

2) Denon AVR-S510BT 5.2 Channel Receiver

3) Bose Acoustimass 6 Home Theater system

My question about the first setup up is, can I run that soundbar (w/satellite speakers) through the receiver and have it work like a normal speaker system? Not knowing really anything about home theater systems (obviously), could I connect all of my components (xb1, cable box, speaker system, and Apple TV) to the receiver via HDMI and then run an HDMI to my projector? Would this give me the desired result?

These are probably dumb questions, but you've gotta learn somehow. Thanks for the help!

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
Welcome to the forum! Let me see if I can help you out with this. You're looking for a 5.1 setup that will have a projector and 3 sources. It looks like you have a dedicated home theater room but we don't know the size. Since you're two setups are the same except for the speaker portion we'll focus on that for now. Ok so lets talk about your options.

Option 1 - Vizio soundbar: The problem that you're going to have is it's a soundbar. You won't need the Denon AVR with this as the Vizio provides it's own power to the speakers. The problem is the lack of inputs and video switching. For me this makes it a no go. Normally you could use your TV as the source switcher but in your case you won't have that option. This coupled with the fact that you're locked into just this system with no flexibility for upgrades or changes makes this really a non solution for you. There are other reasons why this wouldn't work but I'll save that for another day. Soundbars have there place but just not in your theater.

Option 2 - Bose set: This solves the problem of video switching by being compatible with the Denon AVR that you chose. However, it's not without it's drawbacks. One of the biggest ones is just like the Vizio you're locked into this system. It's all non standard connectors so you have to deal with that when setting up the speakers. If you want to upgrade the sub because the base module isn't cutting it in your room...you can't. You might be able to add in another sub but you can't replace the bose unit. Same for the speakers. If you find they are weak and lack midrange, they will, you're stuck with them. I just don't see this being a very good investment for you. Unless there's a special reason you need Bose I would look at some other solutions.

Solution: Find a different speaker set to use with the Denon that you have picked out. Lets assume that you you have $700 to spend as that is what the Bose costs. Now answer this for me and the others here. What is the size of the room you're setting up? How loud do you normally like your theater? Are you looking for ultra small speakers like the Bose set or are you open to larger ones?

cc00lltt00nn

Auditioning
Real Name
Colton
Thank you for the quick and detailed response! I'm definitely not set on anything that I have mentioned above because I have zero experience with Home Theater Systems.

I do have a dedicated room and the dimensions are 16'x14'. Seeing as this will be my first home theater, I don't really have a preference as far as loudness goes. I'm definitely open to larger speakers.

For a beginner setup, what would your opinion of a system like this be? http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YHT-4920UBL-5-1-Channel-Theater-Bluetooth/dp/B00V9Z2X6O

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
That set you picked out is a basic pre-pack system. Speakers and an AVR bundled together in one convenient package. The benefit of these is that you're getting a real AVR and speakers that can be upgraded/changed out down the road. As far as that set it concerned I would pass on it if I were you. The speakers are full rangers, the sub is quite small (6.5") and the AVR is pretty basic. While still far and away a better choice than a soundbar I think you could probably do better for your money.

What is your budget for this project? Are you open to buying refurb? Are there any specific features that you were looking for in an AVR such as BT, wifi ect?

cc00lltt00nn

Auditioning
Real Name
Colton
I think that yamaha setup has an 8" sub, not that it makes much difference. The description up top doesn't match the rest of the info below (in the link).

After my projector and screen purchase, I want to top out at around $700-$800 for my audio setup. I know that's not a ton, but I'm looking to build a good system over time. I just need to get something in place for now, that's not absolute crap. I don't mind refurbs. I'm not really concerned with bluetooth or wifi. If the AVR has it, great. If not, I won't lose any sleep over it.

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
$700-800 for a setup is more than enough to get something with will sound awesome. Here are some options that I would look at.

AVR - Pick one
  • Denon X1100W refurb $270 this has everything 7.2, wifi, BT, Zone 2 and Audyssey Silver.
  • Yamaha RX-V379 refurb $240 If you want a lower cost option this would be one to look at. Basic 5.1 but included 3 year warranty makes it nice.
  • Yamaha RX-V377 $200 like above minus bluetooth. This is last years model but still a solid entry level 5.1 AVR
Speaker Sets - Pick one
Make your own sets - example there are others you could put together

ArmSC

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Tony
You're welcome. Feel free to ask questions or bounce ideas around. I just pulled some stuff that I think would work for your situation I'm sure there are other options that I've missed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks