Firmware upgrade for 4805

Discussion in 'Displays' started by John DeSantis, Aug 19, 2005.

1. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

I decided to upgrade to the latest firmware (ver 1.1.3 ) I know that some have said not to do it but the new version was/is supposed to improve the switching. It seems to have done just that. I was having trouble switching from HD to SDTV. I had to hit the source button each time. It now changes without having to do that. Also, It seems to have improved the image on the M1 port. I'm feeding it a Progressive DVD signal.

So, not sure it's a good idea for everyone but it seems to have helped me. I still do not notice any audio/video sync issues as was reported by some.

Later!

2. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I upgraded mine also. I wanted to get the bigger picture in the 16:9 mode. No problems so far [​IMG]
    Dave

3. John DeSantis

John DeSantis Stunt Coordinator

What do you mean by bigger Pic in 16:9 mode? Was there a problem with that? I haven't noticed any change in pic size since the update.

4. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

?????.......huh????

The main reason why people choose not to "upgrade" the firmware is that there is a flashing ot flicker effect in dark scenes of movies. Infocus is rumored to be putting a new firmware upgrade available soon but they have already admitted that it will not fix the flicker........so I see no need to upgrade to that and am shocked that IF has not fixed this issue as of yet. Until then it is the original firmware for me all the way.

5. drobbins

drobbins Screenwriter

Dave
    I think it was referred to having a black bar on the right side of the picture. The way I noticed it was I was setting up my screen. I used the blue start up screen to set up the size and location. I had the size maxed out with the lens adjustment. Once I had my screen where I wanted it, I watched a movie in 16:9. The picture was a little off center and I could not get the picture to fill the width of the screen. After I updated the firmware I did not have this issue. I had read about this elsewhere, but I don't know where.
    Dave

6. John Whittle

John Whittle Stunt Coordinator

I upgraded right after I bought the unit so have no previous experience to compare BUT I don't have a flicker effect in dark scenes. Is there a manufacturing change that happened at some point that we can check with serial numbers?

Have you returned your projector to the factory for service?

John

7. Evan M.

Evan M. Supporting Actor

A lot of people reported the flicker issue when upgraded when they used (I think) component (I may be wrong). People using a HTPC or DVI I don't think have reported as many issues. I bought mine and it had the original firmware and I never upgraded as I use component and only use it for DVD so nothing in the new firmware really would help me.....only hurt me. The munufactor dates have nothing to do with the flicker issue. This is an issue that Infocus is aware of and have admitted that they have no fix for as of yet. People who buy a 4805 and have the flicker issue usually "downgrade" to the original firmware. This advice is per Infocus........which means they will not even bother trying to fix the issue if it is sent in.

8. Steve Berger

Steve Berger Supporting Actor

I think I read that the fix involves working with T.I. engineers to solve it. Like many chip companies, they prefer to supply a part, then abandon you while they work on the next generation. Just look at the year and a half plus that Sigma Designs has delayed new drivers for the Xcard (too busy with other development) . InFocus has to wait for T.I. to "get around to it" for a solution. Since chip companies don't manufacture or sell consumer products, they don't feel the pressure and consumer feedback that people like InFocus do.