Fireworks are soon to be upon us!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Travis Hedger, Jun 7, 2002.

1. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

Well the 4th is less than a month away now and I am turning to wonder what I should pick up this year.
    See, I live in Oklahoma and the good fireworks are banned. Mostly from the dumbasses that dont know how to properly use em. So for the last 2 years my best friend and I would make a partial day trip up to 11 miles inside the border of Missouri just outside of Jopline to Crazy Debbie's fireworks.
    I realize that we mostly focused on Bottle Rockets (highly fun) and we still have 2 cases left. More than 7,000 individiual rockets by my count so no need to replenish there.
    Im thinking that this year I want to focus more upon the arial displays like the high flighing 2 ounce rockets and such. What are you guys favorites? Or any good stories?
    One time, back in the 90's [​IMG] after the 4th, my friend had some left over, so he took a Tylenol bottle, filled it with the contents of various fireworks, drilled a hole in the top for the fuse, sealed the rest with wax and tape.
    He attempts to light it, the fuse is going REALLY fast, he simply drops it and starts running, well, he was damn near standing directly over the thing when it went, luckily the explosion seemed to go around him so no major burns, but a spectacular ground based multicolor explosion!

2. James Slade

James Slade Second Unit

Dumbass people who don't know how to use fireworks.

Filling up a drug bottle with various fireworks contents drilling a hole and trying to light it.

Is the pot calling the kettle black here or what?

3. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

I have a lengthy, painful story:
    My family had a tradition of going to PA to purchase fireworks for the 4th. One or two people would go and spend thousands of dollars on fireworks. We would have a truck(s) filled to the top with stuff. Shells, big rockets, etc. Normally we would spend the day before preparing for the festivities. We stored all the pipes (for launching shells and rockets) every year so we would dig them out, inspect them and drive them into the ground. Of course the setup required some stuff to be fired off [​IMG]
    On the 4th we would assemble many family and friends, have a big barbecue and enjoy the day. Just before sunset we would begin planning and staging the different fireworks. Lighting duties were left to sober guys ONLY. Usually six to eight of us would be involved, one or two guys unwrapping and grouping items and the rest of us firing them off in unison. Overall it was a pretty good show.
    In 1991 everything was going as planned. We were about midway through the show and decided to launch a bunch of rockets. Not little bottle rockets, these were the big ones that were about 2'-3' long with the pointy plastic cones. We loaded eight of them into the pipes (each one had its own pipe) and when my uncle called out "Ready" we began to light them. As each one was lit the person lighting it would call out to make sure those next to him were aware it was burning. Some of us used the long lighters with the trigger, others used cigars.
    Apparently one friend who was there let his cigar burn out. He was a BIG guy, over 325 lbs. Instead of just walking away and lighting his rocket during the next round, he dug through his pockets to find a lighter. By the time he lit his rocket the others around him were launching. He panicked, turned to run out of the area and tripped on his pipe which had a big ol' rocket just about to launch. These pipes were driven about a foot into the ground but it was no match for his mass. The pipe was now pointing right at us.
    I was about 15' away walking to the staging area to grab the next round of fireworks. I had my back to the launch area but when I heard the commotion I began to turn to see what was going on. I had only made a quarter of a turn when I heard my uncle yell "GET D..."
    My uncle, an excellent football player in his day, saw that the rocket was pointing straight at me. He attempted to tackle me (blind-sided) but arrived a fraction of a second too late. In an instant there was a brilliant flash to the right of me, excruciating pain in my right temple and over my right eye and a forceful blow to my lower back. I ended up on the ground, my uncle on top of me. My head hurt like hell and the wind was knocked out of me.
    The rocket had slammed into my right temple, just the right side of my eye. It ricocheted off my melon and smashed into the ground where it exploded. While my uncle hadn't made it in time to prevent it from hitting me he most likely saved me from getting burnt badly. Between the smack upside the head and the "QB sack" I was dazed and could barely walk. Several family members thought I should go to the hospital but I refused. My girlfriend (now wife) helped clean me up and I sat down to catch my breath. After a short discussion the show went on, without me!
    I consider myself very lucky to not have suffered serious injury. If the rocket had been an inch to the right it would have hit my eye [​IMG]
    That was the last time we did a fireworks show. It was such a family tradition, I really do miss it! I know it may sound stupid, but I would do it again if everyone was willing to. Well, everyone other than the fat guy!

4. PhilipW

PhilipW Second Unit

I worked at a local amusement park in the late 80's and each night they would shutdown 5-6 rides to have a firework show over a pond. Being one of the ride operators we were designated fire patrol in case a firework landed in a grassy area. Well they had those fireworks that shoot out in all directions and make that loud whistling noise. One night the first one of those out came straight at me and 3-4 other guys, nailed the guy next to me square in the chest. Knocked him flat with the wind knocked out of him. Luckily no burns or any other damaged. Was pretty funny after we realized no one was hurt but really scared the crap out of us as it happened.

5. John Garcia

John Garcia Executive Producer

John
    They are banned in nearly every county here. [​IMG] for consumer use that is, even Safe & Sane

6. ChrisMatson

ChrisMatson Cinematographer

My thoughts exactly.

About dumbasses...
    When I was about 10 years old, a friend of a friend brought some bottle rockets back from vacation. A group of us went out to some woods and had bottle rocket fights. We used a small piece of steel tubing like a bazooka. One person would aim the tube and his partner would stick the bottle rocket in the back of the tube and light it. Luckily, we never hit each other. I can't beleive I ever did something so stupid!

With all of the stupid things that kids (and some adults) do, I can understand the need to ban sales to the public.

Given security concerns this year, I think I will be staying away from crowded 4th of July events.

7. MikeAlletto

MikeAlletto Cinematographer

8. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

http://www.seanbaby.com/personal/fireworks.htm
    I'm amazed that so few HTFers partake in the wisdom of Seanbaby [​IMG]
    EDIT: For the humor impaired, Seanbaby goes out of his way to be offensive to EVERYONE. He's actually a very nice person from what i hear [​IMG] You'll be too busy laughing to be offended [​IMG]

9. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein

ROFLMFAO!!!!!Out-freaking-standing!!!!!!

10. Ron-P

Ron-P Producer

Ron
    We take bottle-rockets out to the desert and have fights. But, we just launch them from out hands. No secondary launching device needed. It's more fun that way.
    Peace Out~[​IMG]

11. Dennis Reno

Dennis Reno Supporting Actor

Jeff - the "Seanbaby" article was a scream!!! A definite "must read" for the un-PC crowd!
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

12. Travis Hedger

Travis Hedger Supporting Actor

13. Dheiner

Dheiner Gazoo

John Dhein
    Like that makes it BETTER?????

14. Jeff Kleist

Jeff Kleist Executive Producer

I highly recommend the rest of Seanbaby's site. Especially if you are a child of the 80's. His commentaries on Nintendo, Hostess Fruit Pie ads from comic books (Don't rob the bank! Have delicious Twinkies instead!), and the SuperFriends are fantastic [​IMG] Especially "Dear Nintendo: My Life is a G*d D**n Mess" The hilarious part is that many of the people featured actually emailed him (or were found in other ways) that wrote in to Nintendo Power [​IMG]

15. Steve Schaffer

Steve Schaffer Producer

Here in Fresburg, there is 0 rainfall from about mid-April until November.

By July 4th we will have had at least a month of temps in the 90s with very low humidity.

The most popular roofing material up until maybe 10 years ago was/is highly flammable Cedar Shakes.

The first week of July is terrifying around here--we have a poorly funded fire department and a lot of idiots firing off bottle rockets in residential areas.

Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with firecrackers, cherry bombs, or even low yield nuclear devices, just don't shoot 'em up in the air where they can fall on one of those tinder dry shake roofs.