Firewall, The Perfect Storm and Constantine on HD DVD - June 6th

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by Herb Kane, May 23, 2006.

1. Herb Kane

Herb Kane Screenwriter

Just received from WB:
    -----------------------

CONSTANTINE, WARNER HOME VIDEO’S
    FIRST HD DVD WITH IN-MOVIE EXPERIENCE

DEBUTS JUNE 6

Firewall and The Perfect Storm also debut on HD DVD

Burbank, California (May 22, 2006) – Warner Home Video (WHV) has announced the June 6 release of Constantine, their first HD DVD title with the new In-Movie Experience feature (IME). IME raises the bar of interactivity, allowing viewers to enjoy new ways of accessing interviews and other material -- while the movie is running -- to find out more about the filmmaking process. The IME for Constantine features director Francis Lawrence leading an exploration of the plot, stunts, characters and production of Constantine.

Two other HD titles will debut on June 6: Firewall, WHV’s second HD DVD and DVD Combo Format, released day-and-date with its Standard Definition version and an HD DVD version of The Perfect Storm.

Constantine and The Perfect Storm will sell for $28.99 SRP; Firewall will be available at $39.99 SRP.

Constantine, with Keanu Reeves fighting a new otherworldly foe, is an eye-opening supernatural thriller based on characters from the DC Comics/Vertigo Hellblazer. Firewall stars Harrison Ford as Jack Stanfield whose perfect life is shattered when his wife and children are kidnapped and held for $100 million ransom, plunging him into a cyber-edged race against time. The Perfect Storm is based on the true-life best selling novel by Sebastian Junger, and stars George Clooney, Mark Wahlberg and Diane Lane in the story of six crew members of the swordfishing boat Andrea Gail and their grueling battle with an unheralded natural disaster at sea.

All bonus materials on the Standard Definition versions of each of these titles will be included on the HD DVD versions.

Warner Home Video HD DVDs offer resolution six times higher than standard definition DVDs, extraordinarily vibrant contrast and color in addition to beautifully crisp sound. HD DVD also provides a new level of interactivity, giving instant access to extra features with the debut of a seamless menu-bar that allows viewers to enjoy features and settings without leaving or

With operations in 90 international territories, Warner Home Video, a Warner Bros. Entertainment Company, commands the largest distribution infrastructure in the global video marketplace. Warner Home Video's film library is the largest of any studio, offering top quality new and vintage titles from the repertoires of Warner Bros. Pictures, Turner Entertainment, Castle Rock Entertainment, HBO Home Video and New Line Home Entertainment.

2. norrisMc

norrisMc Stunt Coordinator

"THE PERFECT STORM" ! Cool !

DIANE LANE in high-def !

3. Rob_HD

Rob_HD Stunt Coordinator

This is really good news. I'm very interested to see what the interactive stuff in Constantine looks like. Is this the first release that really starts to use some of the unique iHD capabilities?

Hey - Firewall is a hybrid disc? Cool!

4. JohnS

JohnS Producer

John Steffens
    I'll defintely pick up The Perfect Storm and considering Constantine. Constantine should look really good.

5. Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan Sean Bryan

Sean
    I'll probably be getting The Perfect Storm and Constantine.

I wasn't sure if I wanted Firewall, but since it is a hybrid disc I'm definitely not buying. Rental only.

It sucks now that it looks like all new WB "day and date" titles are going to be on hybrids. If they are going to force me to buy a hybrid if I want to own "Superman Returns" in high def, then I guess I'll be buying that title (and all of WB's new releases) on BD.

6. ChristopherDAC

ChristopherDAC Producer

I just don't understand why they're putting out both hybrid and SD releases. Pardon me, but that kind of negates the whole "hybrid advantage" — the part about people waking up and finding they have a whole collection of HD DVDs, and deciding they want to get a player.

7. MattGuyOR

MattGuyOR Stunt Coordinator

I'd buy the perfect storm if I had a hd-dvd player but Constantine sucked bad. I only finished it because I was watching it with a friend and didn't want to be rude.

8. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    i wont go anywere near purchasing a hybrid.

it doesnt make sense to not offer a non hybrid hd dvd version of these hybrids.

9. Shawn.F

Shawn.F Supporting Actor

I'm not so certain that they will be doing that with all of their new titles. "V For Vendetta", as we all know, has been been announced for SD on 8/1 in a single and double disc edition. Neither have been mentioned as being a hybrid disc.

Perhaps Warner is doing hybrids on their lesser "A" titles? "Rumor Has It" and "Firewall" were films that had high hopes from the studio, but both performed below expectations. I think "Superman Returns" will most likely get a stand-alone HD DVD release, at least I hope it does. I'm not a fan of this hybrid concept.

10. Paul_Scott

Paul_Scott Lead Actor

Is anyone? I agree that under the current pricing , the strategic importance of these things is baffling- even moreso now that Warner is an avowed dual format supplier.

Just can these already. Either someone wants it on SD in as cheap a version as possible, or else they already have a HD player and don't want or need a two sided disc when they only bought it to use one side specifically.

11. Lew Crippen

Lew Crippen Executive Producer

I can think of two reasons Chris: one, an SD-only version might be both cheaper to produce and lower in price on the shelf; and two, it may well be that even if the shelf price was the same, some potential buyers might be put off just by the HD label. I assume (without really knowing) that HD would have to be pretty prominent on the cover—and that might cause confusion among some users who have zero interest in HD.

12. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

The perfect Storm will be awesome methinks! Gettin' more tempting by the day!

13. norrisMc

I agree. The special effects and "scale" of this film was awesome for it's time. Really groundbreaking. It's also a good movie (better than "Posiedon" anyway IMHO) and has the gorgeous Diane Lane in it. (and gorgeous George too)!

14. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    good for its time?

it was only about 5 1/2 years ago.

15. norrisMc

In most fields I'd agree with you... BUT... in special effects 5 1/2 Years is a looonnnngggg time. The water effects in "Perfect Storm" were for their time (5 1/2 years ago)... groundbreaking.

16. Dave Mack

Dave Mack Producer

Just my 2 cents but they still look pretty good to me!