1. We suffered a brief outage this morning when our host noticed that HTF needed to be moved to a different server due to a hardware failure. That work is now complete. Please post in the feedback area if you have any issues.
    Dismiss Notice

Firewall settings for Counterstrike and other online gaming?

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by NickSo, Sep 14, 2002.

1. NickSo

NickSo Producer

Nick So
    Hi, i have a Broadband Router, but whenever i play games online, i gotta connect my internet right to the DSL modem (I have two network cards, one goes to the router, one goes to a hub thats directly connected to the router).

Well, when i do connect it directly, theres nothing protecting me from the outide. I wanna be protected, but i wont be able to connect to any online games.

Does anybody know a site that shwos all the port settings and whatnot for online games (Counterstrike, etc)?

I plan on using WIndowsXP's Internet COnnection firewall, coz its the easiest (Zonealarm got to confusing)

Thnaks

2. Rob Speicher

Rob Speicher Supporting Actor

You probably don't need to use both the router and the WinXP Firewall. For me, the router alone has been sufficient.
    As for settings, I don't think I had to change anything for mine. The only think I can think of is "Respond to Ping on Internet WAN Port" - not sure if CS requires the connecting client to respond to a ping or not.
    The default Half-Life/CS port is 27015, but that's just for servers, clients connect on random ports.
    Here's your port listings: http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers

3. John_Berger

John_Berger Cinematographer