What's new

Firewall (Blu-ray) Review (1 Viewer)

John H Ross

Screenwriter
So... if the quality between the HD-DVD and the BD is identical, and BD has a LOT more studio support, then BD has a very real chance of being the winning format? (Price differences notwithstanding obviously)

JR

Harminder

Second Unit
Real Name
Harminder
I wonder, is this good news or bad news for Blu-Ray?

If the transfers look virtually identical, they both have the same extras, etc. what technical advantage does Blu-Ray have then over HD-DVD? The use of efficient codecs throws the whole 15GB vs. 25GB debate out the window. I guess it will all come down to price (software AND hardware), which HD-DVD has a major advantage over and studio support, which Blu-Ray is dominating at this point.

Jesse Blacklow

Senior HTF Member
The question is, how long will these advantages last? Rumblings seem to indicate we'll be seeing more BD players, some (including the PS3) coming down to the level of the HD-A1. On the other end, the HD DVD hardware seems like it could head for increased prices (HD-EX1 and/or HD-AX2). As for studio support, there will always be an advantage (i.e., SPHE), unless Blu-ray is completely dominated, but there is more theoretical momentum towards HD DVD, if Iger's comments are to be taken literally.

ppltd

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thomas Eisenmann

It is too early to make any judgements on the winner. Both formats will probably survive for a considerable time, and I would guess, if an adaquate number of HD players sells, the studios (including Sony...The entertainment division I.E. Movies and the hardware division are seperate cost centers in Sony and I doubt they will cut off their own nose to spite their face.) will jump on the bandwagon.

In the mean time I will sit back and watch a few fine HD movies and let the rest of the world fight this battle.:crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks