Firewalk With Me: Collector's Edition - R2 UK

Discussion in 'DVD' started by MarcoBiscotti, Jul 11, 2005.

1. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

2. Dale MA

Dale MA Screenwriter

Dale
    Awesome. I'll be buying this on the day of release to show my support for Twin Peaks on DVD [​IMG]

3. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Well, I don't know. Doesn't look particularly special to me at all, and certainly doesn't include the stuff the fans really want.

I just got the "new" R3 2-disc set of "Fire" the other day that includes "Pretty as a Picture" on the second disc (the price was lower than I could get both "Fire" and "Pretty" separately in R1). I was expecting the exact same transfer of "Fire", but a very brief comparison revealed differences. I can't say which is better without a whole lot more viewing, but the R3 obviously has more saturated colors (without any bleeding or indication of over-saturation that I've yet seen). FWIW, the packaging matches the Artisan Season One box much better than the R1 New Line snapper.

4. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Rich, what other extras are featured on the R3 Korean set apart from "Pretty As A Picture"? From an undiscerned screening, could you say which you initially felt was the better film transfer?

I'm considering placing an order for the R3 set but will wait to see what the new UK edition has to offer... in the pq department at least.

Actually, I'll probably order it eitherway and if anything, just rerplace the first disc since the UK set doesnt seem to have any extras whatsoever.

I remember reading a while back that R1 was supposed to get some ultimate definitive edition approved by Lynch, what became of that (or am I mistaken)?

PS - Does the R3 2-discer come in a digipack or keepcase?

Thanks!

5. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

Just so you know, this is the disc I'm talking about: http://www.dvdheaven.com/dvd/dvd_detail.php?idx=3885

"On sale" for $13.16 at dvdheaven (best price I've found).

You can see the cover on that page (that is the actual cover). The discs are contained in a "single width" double-disc amaray style keepcase with the cardboard slipcover that you see at the link above. I checked the specs at dvdfromkorea for the extra features (which I believe are identical to the R1, and I'll confirm with my disc):

*Disc 1
    - Film (anamorphic/dts)
    - Theatrical Trailer
    - Original Documentary "Reflections on the Phenomenon of Twin Peaks"
    - Cast&Crew
    - Production Note
    - Still Gallery
    * Disc 2
    - Documentary with David Lynch(80 Minutes)
    Pretty as a picture THE ART OF DAVID LYNCH
    Screen 4:3 / Dolby Digital 5.1 Stereo

I haven't even had a chance to view so much as a single frame from "Pretty as a Picture", but I was able to bring up a couple of scenes to compare the Korean disc to the R1 New Line disc. On my 53" screen, I didn't see any obvious defects in the Korean transfer and the colors were somewhat more saturated than the New Line disc. Beyond that, I hesitate to comment. I can't even say for sure that there isn't any digital fogging of the naughty bits, which I understand is a practice on some Korean discs. But my initial viewing suggests that the Korean disc looks on-par with the New Line transfer (which IMO is very very nice) with slightly increased color saturation. If I have some time tonight, I'll try to do some further comparison, and I'd really like to be able to watch the whole film with an eye peeled for problems before giving it the final thumbs-up... but so far so good!

I don't have the R1 "Pretty as a Picture" to compare, but I should take a quick look at that transfer, as well. It's my understanding that "Pretty" is region-free (whereas "Fire" is R3-restricted), and so I wonder if that might suggest an identical disc as the R1?

6. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I also just want to point out that the UK edition that's the subject of this thread looks to be identical in terms of extras to the French MK2 release. I can't quite tell, but does it even include the "Reflections on Twin Peaks" documentary?

7. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks Rich!

let us know about the fogging and what not if you get a a chnace to run through the set more thoroughly.

Thanks for the quick rundown!

8. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

I wasn't able to watch all of the R3 "Fire" DVD last night (my wife and I are in the middle of the Doinel Adventures, and it was "Bed and Board" last night), but I did do some extensive comparison and checked a few things.

There's no fogging in any of the scenes I checked... topless Laura, topless Ronette, topless Donna. Also, the English subtitles that accompany that scene popped up appropriately (or maybe are burned in)... that's one thing that might also have been problematic and is not.

Interestingly, when you start the movie on the R3 disc the "MK2 Diffusion" logo pops up. Is this another port of the French PAL disc? I could not detect any PAL>NTSC ghosting, or other artifacts. Unfortunately, I couldn't watch the whole film and thus was unable to check the total runtime of the film to determine whether any PAL speedup... as there is no time clock activated on the disc! But I stress again that I saw no PAL>NTSC conversion artifacts.

Unlike the R1 disc, there is a scene access/chapter menu (but titled only in Korean). The R1 disc does have chapter stops, but no scene access menu. The chapter stops are placed similarly in the R3 disc, but not exactly the same. The R1 does a better job of placing the chapter stops, at least in my limited review. There seem to be about a comparable and plentiful number of stops on both discs (probably 40-50 chapters on both).

(There are no chapter stops for "Pretty As A Picture" on the R3 disc - I have no idea about the R1 on this point - but unlike the R3 "Fire" there is a time clock activated on the R3 "Pretty".)

Now about the transfers... on my 53" screen, I could perceive little difference. Unfortunately, I don't have two comparable DVD players, so I had to exchange the discs to compare the same scenes and this was made a tad more difficult by the lack of a time clock on the R3 rendering the "position memory" function useless on that disc. It seemed to me that the R1 transfer might have been a bit more solid, and the R3's contrast might be jacked a bit higher along with a bit more color saturation, leaving the R1 as the better transfer... but I can't really say this for sure, and it may well have been that I expected the R1 to be better and I expected the Korean disc to be a bit too heavy on the contrast/saturation. This was not a blind test.

I noted the "MK2 Diffusion" logo that popped up before the film started, and so I checked the DVD Beaver comparison of the French MK2 disc and the New Line R1: http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDCom...walkwithme.htm

Again, I noted no PAL>NTSC conversion artifacts, but the Beaver's comparison does seem similar to my own (and being able to directly A:B the screenshots is very helpful).

I didn't compare the DTS tracks, and now I wonder if I should have. Korean discs sometimes use full bitrate DTS. But I paid no attention to the audio transfer.

Hope this helps!

9. MarcoBiscotti

MarcoBiscotti Producer

Thanks so mcuh Rich, it does help, big time!

I really appreciate it!!!

Based on everything I'm hearing, there's really no rush to jump on this R3 set. I'll wait to see how the upcoming UK SE fares and hope that R1 gets an upgrade, perhaps to tie-in with a long past-due release of Twin Peaks S2...

The discrepencies in the transfers here, seem too insignificant to really make me want to import the R3 version since I already own the current R1 disc. If anything I might eventually pick it up for the improved packaging and decide if I want to swap the feature discs or not but right now I'll wait and hope for something better in terms of pq and extras.

Thanks again!!

10. Rich Malloy

Rich Malloy Producer

The other good reason to get the R3 disc is for "Pretty as a Picture", which is around $20 for the R1 version. Of course, I haven't compared the two so I can't comment on relative quality. But if you don't mind having a possibly slightly less good transfer (just guessing on this) and no chapter stops (I believe the R1 disc has them), then this is an inexpensive way to get the doc, plus arguably better packaging (no snappers at the very least), and a fairly comparable transfer of "Fire Walk With Me".

But I do think "Pretty as a Picture" is best paired with "Lost Highway", and hopefully a super-duper 2-disc special edition of that film will come out someday with "Pretty" as a truly apt bonus feature.

11. Mathew B

Mathew B Stunt Coordinator