What's new

Firesign Theater (1 Viewer)

MikeAW

Second Unit
SONY Legacy has remastered and released their four CBS releases recently...mine are in the mail.

ANYONE remember them...like them ?

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Sure Mike, for well over 30 years now. I've got a couple of the early discs on Mobile Fidelity, do you think these new mixes will be an improvement? If they are, I'll be glad to drop more coin.
Waiting For The Electrician Or Someone Like Him and How Can You Be In Two Places At Once When You're Not Anywhere At All are just basics that ought to be in everyones collection.
I'm sure many fans feel the same way about Don't Crush That Dwarf (Hand Me The Pliers) and We're All Bozos On This Bus.
Do a search on these guys, there is a LOT of other material available.
Jim
"Are we to Goshen yet?"

MikeAW

Second Unit
Dear Jim,

I have the MFSL recordings too, but let's face it alot has changed, in the recording technology since they were released on CD. Let me check it out for you.

I am very happy with the product from the Legacy release program. They had a choice to do it cheap, but SONY has put some work and thought into these releases.

Ryan Spaight

Supporting Actor
Yes, definitely let us know how the new Sony reissues compare to the MFSL releases. I'll never give up the older discs, for the neato liner notes if nothing else, but if the new ones sound significantly better, I'll bite.
I enjoyed the "reunion" albums Rhino put out recently (Give Me Immortality or Give Me Death, Boom Dot Bust, Bride of Firesign), but they aren't close to the level of artistry and hilarity found on the "classic" albums, of which Dwarf is my favorite.
I never delved much into "middle period" Firesign, simply because the volume is intimidating and the quality is suspect (lots of the stuff is by a partial group). Any recommendations?
Ryan

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Firesign just did a live performance for PBS (right here in Philly and I didn't know about it! Aggh!) it should be making the rounds soon.

Personally, I want their movie, J-Men Forever on DVD! I've heard the elements are in horrific shape ;(

MikeAW

Second Unit
At one of our local PBS pledge drives, I believe they had a recording of this live thing, and they were offering a DVD of it, so I guess it's coming out there soon.

Also they offered an autographed script, and the 4 reissues.

I remember their FM syndicated radio show "Dear Friends", very fondly, and the 2LP distillation of same on CBS when it came out.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks