Fireplace Problem And 6.1 Setup

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by SteveMo, Aug 12, 2002.

1. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

My room is 12 feet and 5 inches wide from wall to wall. The room goes back 49 feet becoming my bedroom and desk area. There is a fireplace on the right side of my RPTV 9 feet away. This limits my surround speaker range and I am forced to sit about 7 1/2 feet from the screen. When I do that I notice a few white lines that are slightly brighter in the picture. It may be of a part in my RPTV that needs fixing becasue it is currently under repair and has one ordered. I fear that it may be the texture of the screen. When I stand at the same eye level about 8 or 9 feet away I don't see it anymore. It is a 47" widescreen.

My satelitte speakers are on the walls already. I could move them because I have some wall filler and the paint from repainting my room a few weeks ago.

If I want to move the couch back than the fireplace that extends out from the wall 19 inches blocks the right surround.

So I could move the couch back to 8 feet and make a stand to set on the fireplace for the right speaker but it would be 19 inches closer than the left.

Should I tell my reciever it's 1 foot closer than the left or move my front left and front rights and the RPTV over a foot? Keep in mind if I move the Front Left and right they will no longer be centered in the room if that makes any difference.

2. Kirk Gunn

Kirk Gunn Screenwriter

Kind of tough to visualize without a diagram, but I'm stuck in a similar situation in my family room. The fireplace is in the center of the wall, with the TV stuck in the corner. The positioning of the L/R channels really sucks, with the Right Channel next to the TV and the Left on the other side of the fireplace. Getting an SPL meter - 30.00 from Radio Shack - and balancing the speakers really helped.

Good Luck !

3. Stephen Houdek

Stephen Houdek Second Unit

S
    I too have a FP in my video room. I don't know if this is an option for you but I chose to move my TV from near the FP to the wall opposite the FP. (Near the entrance to the Kitchen.)

Center on top of the 53" Hitachi and L/R next to the TV with surrounds mouted on the walls flanking the FP. Not too bad considering the limitations. Sounds really good afer calibration.

4. SteveMo

SteveMo Stunt Coordinator

PROBLEM SOLVED:
    I bought a pair of silver stands for the front speakers so I would not have to reattach them to the wall. They match the television but are lighter. My front right was just barely hanging there and when I reached to take it off I caught it. Whew!
    Now I just need to move my right surround back a foot or so.
    I had gone to get just 10 feet more of speaker wire but broke down and got a pair of MonsterBass 300s for my subs and a 25 foot RCA gold plated stereo cable which I will seperate for the Mono amps I have ordered. I can use the origanal sub amp wires for the 3 Mono amps ordered know also which is good.
    Sure the picture will be better but now my center channel will be the same distance as my mains. Thats really great and should improve the soundstage a bunch.