Fireplace??? Need some guidance

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by peter_van, Feb 3, 2006.

1. peter_van

peter_van Extra

Hi All,

Can't find any decent info anywhere and figured someone here might know given the awesome body of knowledge lurking (to which I contribute little ;-)

My HT project was hijacked by the architect and wife, and my room is not dedicated. I have worked out all the kinks save one.

The screen wall, about 92" high (just under 8') needs to house a 7' high center channel, a 31' high FP, and a 47.5' fixed frame screen (stacked FP, Center, Screen). The screen will be flush to the wall, with the FP and center channel protruding some 16 inches or so to accomodate venting & such.

The result looks ok, but I end up with only 4-5 inches from the natural gas FP to the center channel. And a vent that likely runs up behind the screen. I'm told these new FP's hold heat well, but I'm very nervous that I'm going to cook at least my center channel.

My only option given the FP must stay, is a smaller screen. I'm sitting 12' back in 17' room, and my current 16:9 is only 82" diag, and I don't want to go smaller.

Anyone think this is a huge issue? Tips?

Sorry for being long winded.

Pete

2. chris_everett

chris_everett Second Unit

I would be worried too. Heat rises, so every bit of heat is going to cook your screen and your speaker. And forgive my ignorance, but what's the point of a fireplace that doesn't put out any heat? Depending on your speakers construction, they may be OK, but I would be more worried about the screen getting wrinkles/warps etc, or just getting dirty. Also, your putting your screen right up against the ceiling, which may mean that it will be uncomforable to watch, a problem that will only get worse with a smaller screen.

I would try and move the fireplace.
    Sorry...

3. peter_van

peter_van Extra

I hear ya Chris ;-)

My reno includes one criteria from my Wife, and that is a Fireplace. They do actually generate a little heat, and are visually pleasing. Unfortunately, there is only one place to put it in my design.

What I am going to do is install a low height (29") Fireplace, put concrete backerbard on top of it, put a dull slate/granite style mantle on, vent away from the screen, and rest the center on the mantle.

I don't expect there to be any direct hot air flow hitting either the screen or the speaker, and expect the ambient temp to be normal.'

Hopefully this works ;-) Thanks for chiming in.

Pete