What's new

Fireplace and TV (1 Viewer)

marc

Stunt Coordinator
Hello All,

We are moving into a new house and it has a fireplace in the family room. The way the room is setup, we want to put the 65" RPTV on an angle next to the fireplace. Will the heat from the fire place cause damage to the screen or tv. It will be about 2' away from the fire. Also, what about putting a plasma above the mantel, on the brick of the fireplace. Thanks for the help.

Marc

Steve Berger

Supporting Actor
Having serviced TVs that were in the same room as fireplaces I am sure of two things : It will pick up an odor that will never go away and it will develop an oily film on everything inside the set , tubes, mirrors, boards , screens , etc. In a worst case scenario I have seen the film become conductive , leading to high-voltage arcing. (assuming you're burning wood and not a gas log)

Wouldn't an above-the-fireplace position create an awkward viewing angle unless you were quite far away ? And with "far away " wouldn't it be too small for the room ? And even more film buildup.

I have a similar situation but keep the set about 8 feet away and have a 12 foot cathedral ceiling which directs the heat and smoke flow away from the TV.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Maybe he has a gas fireplace. No smoke.

I have the same situation in a house we're building. Typical family room with fireplace at the end, windows to left, and french doors to the right. I never considered putting the TV in the corner next to the fireplace only because it takes away from the fireplace (and the heat factor doesn't thrill me). I settled on a 5 foot area on the right side of the room next to the french doors. It'll be a slightly odd viewing angle, but I'll compensate with a obscenely large TV. :)

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
I would take Mr. Berger's post very seriously. I never position any kind of display near any sort of heat source.

marc

Stunt Coordinator
---------------Windows-----------
| |
| was going here |
| |
|-|
| |

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks