Firefox/Thunderbird help

Discussion in 'Computers' started by PatH, May 16, 2006.

1. PatH

PatH Second Unit

Apr 4, 2004
    I have a new PC which is currently hooked up to my old PC through a router to allow me to transfer files. This process must be finished by 22 May. Before that date, I'll be using a DOD wipe program to blank the hard drive on the old PC. I've been transferring my documents successfully enough. But I've run into problems with Firefox and Thunderbird.

I installed the latest versions of each on the new PC and tried to replace my application data in firefox, which resulted in a blank (new) version of Firefox on the old PC and a functional version of Firefox on the new (I'm using that now). But . . . it's not my latest setup (e.g., my favorites are an older set and some of my browser tabs are either gone or rearranged when I use the program. I'm not even sure that the Firefox I was trying to transfer exists anymore, but it might on the old PC, so I'd like some help.

Tonight I tried using mozbackup thinking it might rescue me, but it doesn't work, because after I select what I want to restore, it tells me firefox is still running (it's not, on either machine) so I can't go any further. I realize that I should have tried mozbackup before anything, but I didn't know whether I needed it on both machines or not.

Thunderbird's a little different. I copied my setup from the old computer to the new (I think with Firefox I used cut and paste) and I now have a functional Thunderbird on each machine. But . . . (there's always a "but") my latest email on the new machine is from December 2004 and my folders represent the application at that time. The old machine has my current emails and folder tree. So I have both halves but how do I get them together? Please help! And if you can't, please help me find someone at Mozilla who can. And yes, you may all feel free to laugh at my discomfort.

At any rate, the clock is ticking as I said in the first paragraph, so any help will be appreciated. Thanks!

2. nolesrule

nolesrule Producer

Aug 6, 2001
    Joe Kauffman
    Are you sure you copied the application data from the correct documents and settings account folder?

Also, sometimes Firefox doesn't shut down completely, and it' still in memory after exiting, so you may have to kill the process. That would cause the error stating it is still running.

When I moved everything from one computer to another, I just copied
    C:Documents and SettingsMy UsernameApplication DataThunderbird and
    C:Documents and SettingsMy UsernameApplication DataMozillaFirefox

The exact steps were to install the program, and then copy the data before opening the program for the first time.
  3. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

Dec 16, 1998
    I do not use Thunderbird, but there is a simple way to move your Firefox favorites from one PC to another. Go to Bookmarks, Manage Bookmarks and select export on the old PC, and then import the file on the new one.