FIREFOX (merged thread) -- availability, features, review ("fantastic")

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by John H Ross, Oct 2, 2002.

1. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Hey guys!

Wasn't the Clint Eastwood movie Firefox supposed to be released this month by Warner Bros (R1)? I recently checked Amazon's website and there's no trace of it. Pllleeeeeeaaaaaase don't tell me this one has been cancelled....! :-(

John

2. John Stone

John Stone Supporting Actor

I've got a copy in my player right now. Try DVD Empire, that's where I got mine.

3. Tony Scello

Tony Scello Second Unit

I bought my copy yesterday at Borders and watched it last night("you must think in Russian...when ordering this movie[​IMG] ).

4. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

Ummmmm...here it is!
    Or for Canada if you wish!
    I just did a search for a DVD by the name of "Firefox", and it came right up. [​IMG]
    Having said that, and as I've explained in a few other threads, Warner catalog titles are ALWAYS delayed in getting to the street. They slow-boat 'em for some reason. Wait at least until the weekend, maybe a couple of weeks, before you get upset. We've seen this on titles like My Favorite Year, Victor/Victoria, and The Great Race.

5. Jo_C

Jo_C Second Unit

If we all thought Russian and voiced our opinions as to why FIREFOX hasn't been on disc yet, all you people would see is a bunch of malicious-appearing code with a bunch of U's, I's, O's, and A's and we would never understand...unless someone could interpret.

So, think not necessarily Russian, but positive.

6. Bruce Hedtke

Bruce Hedtke Cinematographer

Yes, be positive for it does exist. Haven't watched it yet, but it did arrive Monday.

Bruce

7. John H Ross

John H Ross Screenwriter

Hurrah! There it is! Last time I visited Amazon (2-3 days ago) it said "This title is not currently being manufactured by the studio" or words to that effect. Right, my order is going in RIGHT NOW! :)

Thanks guys! :)

John

8. Steve Christou

Steve Christou Long Member

Steve Christou
    Woah! The thread title made me jump, I just ordered this a few hours ago from Play.com. I hope they send me Firefox and not some made-for-video rubbish called Foxfire.[​IMG]

9. David Lambert

David Lambert Executive Producer

I found Firefox at Best Buy today. Wasn't there yesterday. No Limpet, Frankenstein, Dracula, or Elvira yet, though.

10. Christopher D

Christopher D Second Unit

As a proud holder of the "Cold War Recognition Certificate", let me say that this film is a great memorial to that conflict.

Plus, it's da*n cool when Eastwood lands the jet on the ice floe.

Got mine today from DVD Planet.

11. Beau

Beau Supporting Actor

Acording to this review:
    http://www.obisreviews.com/reviews2....fo=WAR17916DVD
    There is a 30 min. Documentary on the Firefox DVD, but I heard before that it was only going to include the trailer. For anyone who has it, does it REALLY include a Documentary? I havent gotten my copy from amazon yet, but I would REALLY hope that there is a Doc on it.

12. Michael Reuben

Michael Reuben Studio Mogul

Yes, there's a documentary, which was made for British TV at the time of the film's release. And yes, it runs about 30 minutes.

M.

13. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    What Michael said.
    Plus its the 137 min cut of the film, an old video copy I had was 120mins.
    Picture and sound very good for this 20 year old film.[​IMG]

14. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

I finally found Firefox at Best Buy.

I almost wanted to cry. I've NEVER seen this movie in widescreen. It was always so claustrophobic in the cockpit. The airplanes don't "slide" around as much as they did in the P&S version, and the overall cinematography is outstanding.

I must say, I have to go back and watch this movie all the way through, for 2 reasons. First, I just wanted to hear the flybys in 5.1 DD. WooHoo! The audio pans and rumbles are great, though front-to-back isn't always seamless. Still, there's a great rumble behind me when the second firefox comes up behind Gant (Eastwood).
    I never understood what the Russian pilot said over his microphone until now (and I took Russian.) There are lots of sound effects that I missed or never clearly understood until now such as when Gant evades the Russian missles, and his front wings arc forward for better manueverablitiy.
    This movie has really cleared up the dialogue, and put great effects into the surrounds (like typewriters in the respective war rooms.)
    The other reason I need to go back, is to see what the extra footage is. A previous post mentioned that the older VHS was 120 minutes, whereas this DVD has 137 minutes. Anyone know?

This post apparently turned into a review, but I LOVE this movie. It has so much character (and great characters.) I'll probably go to the manufacturer's forum and say something there too. Someone put a lot of good work into this release, and I want to thank him/her.

For those of you who didn't like Firefox, go away!!!

15. John Geelan

John Geelan Screenwriter

I looked for this movie last week at BB and didn't see it. I'll try again this Tuesday.
    Thanks for the great review![​IMG]

16. Robert Crawford

Robert Crawford Moderator

Robert

Eric,
    When I watched this film during it's theatrical run in 1982, I remembered the film being over 2 hours in length by at least 15 minutes. I did some checking an indeed the original theatrical running time was 137 minutes. I watched my copy of the dvd last night and was pleasantly surprised at the very good video and audio presentations. There was some grain in certain spots, but I remembered seeing grain in 1982.

Also, the documentary is present on the dvd and I've seen copies of it at Best Buy.

Crawdaddy

17. HankM

HankM Second Unit

I seen it at Border's last week but didn't pick it up. I'll have to go there tomorrow.

18. Steve Christou

Steve Christou
    Firefox was released in theaters in 1982 at 137mins, but for later video and tv broadcasts it was trimmed to 120mins, a lot of stuff at the beginning of the film was cut out, all the MiG-31 scenes in the last hour were left intact.

Just like to mention that there is a sequel to Firefox, Craig Thomas the author of the original novel wrote a sequel 'Firefox Down' in 1983.
    From the back cover...

"The hijacked Firefox lies entombed in a frozen lake, its pilot, Mitchell Gant is running for his life... As international tension mounts, East and West wage a desperate behind the scenes battle - a frantic race to recover the Firefox!"

19. Brian-W

Brian-W Screenwriter

Are you sure you guys don't have Region 0 Bootlegged versions of Firefox? That's what the clerk at Suncoast Video told me today. Firefox is not out and no date has been set.

BTW - I found it at Circuit City 5 minutes later

20. Eric_R_C

Eric_R_C Second Unit

Brian, I hope you're being facetious, because that is WAY untrue (and quite funny!)