What's new

Firefox-Memory leaks? (1 Viewer)

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Joshua, Firefox and IE both do that. But to me, that option is almost as annoying as the popup itself... so I turn it off for both.

There's a difference between popups and virii. There are good popups. I'd compare it more to a weed killer for your lawn. It would be like finding out the weed killer is actually total vegetation killer the next morning when you see your whole lawn is brown.

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Well I haven't seen the bar in Firefox before. I'll have to look for it next time I go to a site I know has pop-ups. IE's method makes it really obvious that it has blocked something, and even has a 1 time pop-up telling you that it is blocking outside pop-ups.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
I know when FF blocks a popup, it shows an icon in the bottom right corner of the window (which is unobtrusive enough).

For the most part though, popups are unnecessary. There are a couple of exceptions, but 98% of the time they're used excessively.

Chris Bardon

Senior HTF Member
OK, I'm really starting to wonder about whether this will get any better. FF has been updated a couple of times since I first posted this concern, and if anything things have gotten worse. Thunderbird has been especially sluggish, and I've noticed that my computer is taking up to about a minute to respond when I try to restore the thunderbird window. Granted, I keep Firefox and Thunderbird running all the time, so we're talking about apps that have been running for three or four weeks, but I can tell you that IE and outlook express never slowed down like this.

I really like the features that Firefox and Thunderbird bring to the table, but this memory leakage is just way too rampant. Is this what to expect from open source in the future?

Greg*go

Supporting Actor
Just because these 2 programs have memory leaks doesn't mean all open source does. That would be like unfairly saying proprietary coding is insecure because IE & XP have so many holes.

If you're having such huge problems, I suggest just closing the programs at least once every few days and then reopening them. I know it might be inconvient, but it is by far the easiest way to handle this bug until it gets fixed.

With Firefox (and the other tabbed browsers), you can set multiple tabs up to open as your home pages if you'd like.

Brian Johnson

Supporting Actor
I rarely have any problems with my Firefox.
I remember reading this thread a couple days ago & just fell upon this page.....Link

Does it work? Beats me. I have enough memory that I can let it take 51 meg of ram (which is I guess the default according to this link).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks