Firefox extensions thread

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 16, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Jul 4, 2000
    Since most of the cool features that exist as firefox extensions seem to only get passed around by word of mouth, I thought I'd see if anyone else here has anything interesting that I'm missing. So far, I've got these installed:

ieview-still need this one every so often...

Dictionary Search-Nice feature

DuplicateTab-duplicates current tab with history

ImageZoom-I use this one all the time!

TargetAlert-Much improved in the latest version. Appends icons to links to tell you if they open in a new window, or if they're an email address, word doc, etc. New version has an option to only display these on mouse hover.

BugMeNot-Very convenient way to bypass registration on many sites. Rather than visiting the website, just right click in a login field.

TinyURL Creator-Another shortcut to a useful service. Create a tinyURL with a right click on any page.

miniT-Simple tab rearranger that I use all the time.

AniDisable-Makes animated images stay still. I don't like getting distracted by too many moving images on webpages, and this was the last annoyance left after flash!

Flashblock-Replaces all flash content with a play button.

Sage-An embedded RSS reader. Could use some more features, but it's a good start!
  2. Jay H

Jay H Producer

Mar 22, 1999
    I am currently running Firefox 1.04 with the following extensions:

Weatherfox - Small weather bug that sits in the lower right hand part of the status bar. Nice for me to get instant weather since I have no window in my cube. Good for deciding what to wear on my bike commute home when at work.

Copy Plain Text - When I want to send a friend an article without all the graphics or font stuff.

Adblock - Disables Ads!

ImageZoom - Zoom into pictures

That's about it for me..

3. Dave Gilbert

Dave Gilbert Second Unit

Oct 29, 2000

BBCode - adds forum code formatting (like on the HTF) to the context menu for form fields.

ColorZilla - eyedropper and color picker to determine what value a color found on a web page is.

Download Manager Tweak - I use this to open the download manager in a new tab instead of a new window.

FireFTP - an FTP client for Firefox

FLST - Focus last selected tab (when closing a tab)

Gmail Notifier

Greasemonkey - create user scripts to modify how web sites are displayed (hide Google Adsense ads, for example)

LiveLines - Add RSS feeds to readers other than Live Bookmarks with the RSS icon in the status bar. I use it to add subscriptions to Bloglines.

PDF Download - allows you to choose whether you want to open a PDF within the browser or download it. I find that Firefox will hang while a PDF loads, so this is really handy.

QuickTabPrefToggle - adds a button to the toolbar which allows you to toggle single window mode on and off.

Sort Extensions - sorts your extensions alphabetically. Useful when you have a lot of extensions, like me. [​IMG]

Tab Clicking Options - allows you to select options for clicking events on a tab or the tabbar.

Translate - translate web pages and/or selected text to different languages.

Undoclosetab - adds Undo Close Tab to the context menu for when you accidentally close a tab.
  4. Christ Reynolds

Christ Reynolds Producer

May 6, 2002
    my favotite extensions...

pdf download

weatherfox - i liked this before i switched to linux, now i have it in my "taskbar" right next to the clock

ieview - dont need this in linux [​IMG]

but my favorite is stumbleupon. it runs in a tookbar at the top, and when you click it, it brings you to a random interesting site, and you rate whether or not you like it, and it gets to learn what websites you like. i highly suggest you check it out, you'll find the most interesting sites out there. i had to make a bookmarks folder just for stumbleupon.

5. Cameron Yee

Cameron Yee Executive Producer

May 9, 2002
    Cameron Yee
    I REALLY like the search engine plugins. I have ones for Deep Discount DVD, eBay, Best Buy, All Music Guide, IMDB. Makes things a tad faster than going to the site first, though I suppose these aren't technically extensions.

Been using All-In-One Gestures from the beginning.

Image Zoom