What's new

Firefox 2.0 released. (1 Viewer)

ChristopherDAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
AE5VI
I use Opera, and there's a setting which gives you a choice which style you want to use. (I've tried both, and wound up going back to buttons-on-tabs after I kept hitting the big red X instead of the little black one.) Surely the new FireFox has this option?

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Actually, now that each new Browser defaults to opening into a new "Tab" and not a new "Window" I find myself closing the entire browser when trying to close links!!! I guess I'll get used to it but it's a big d'oh moment for me...

Jay

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter
One of the best thing about Opera (where I prefer to not have close buttons on all tabs but just the one) is that even if you close the entire browser by mistake it comes back up with all the windows you had open pre-loaded. :) Even works if the browser crashes.

FF two looks like a decent browser but nothing there to make me switch from Opera.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

Apparently FF2 has that as well. In 1.x I had been using an extension called SessionSaver that did this, but that feature appears to have been integrated into FF2.

Really, extensions are the best reason to switch to Firefox. Just browse through the extensions, and you'll probably find a handful of features you'd want that can't be found in any browsers.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I use TabFX specifically to get this behavior in FF 1.5 :) I find it my easier to close tabs this way. It also lets me close tabs without bringing them to focus.

I've read that TabFX is not compatible with FF 2, so I'm waiting until all the extensions are updated before changing from FF 1.5.

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

Yeah, I know, tried them out and for me at least they weren't as "bulletproof" as Operas behaviour.

Btw, while on the topic of closing tabs, in Opera you can just middle-click (scrollwheel-click) anywhere on the tab and it goes away.

Extensions are good, but you don't really know if they were coded by someone who knows what he is doing or some random muppet. That could have stability and security implications.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman

I've been using SessionSaver for a long time and it works fine.

I already mentioned the middle-click as a close tabs behavior in FF. I was using it in versions earlier than 1.5. So it's not unique to Opera.

As far as stability and security, that is true of anything developed by anybody (just look at IE as an example). Before I install an extension, I always read other people's comments about it. If a lot of the issues are stability, then I don't install it. And once installed, it is extremely easy to get the latest version through the FF extensions interface, rather than having to track each one down individually.

I'll be upgrading to FF2 on Saturday.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know where the favicons are stored for FireFox (MacOS-X)? I don't want to turn the option off (I am fully aware of about:config). Upgrading to 2.0 messed-up the favicons (assigning incorrect ones to multiple bookmarks). I want to delete all of the stored favicons and start "fresh".

Kimmo Jaskari

Screenwriter

Let's not. ;) We're talking Microsoft there, after all.

Nothing wrong with FF and the addon system. It certainly makes it possible to extend the browser a lot, that's the positive aspect. The negative one is the one I mentioned, the possibility for added instability and even security holes. I like that Opera is developed by one team that tests the heck out of it before releasing it. But I didnt mean to turn this into an Opera vs FF thread, just mentioned that I don't think FF2 has anything that would make it worth sidegrading to from Opera, nice though it seems.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
anyway to save all the bookmarks and move them to another computer.

nolesrule

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joe Kauffman
C:Documents and Settings{Your User Name}Application DataMozillaFirefoxProfiles{Your Profile Folder}bookmarks.html

is the file that contains your bookmarks.

Alfonso_M

Second Unit
any improvements related to the Bookmarks?

For instance is the ‘Bookmarks Search’ feature now including ‘folders’ in the search results .

Another bookmark behavior I find annoying is that after tracking down a Bookmarked link after closing and re-opening the left bookmark windowpane it defaults back to the top loosing my last positioning and forcing me to search again..

Is there any way to prevent this??

Another question, how do you add newly created IE bookmarks to the Firefox bookmark directory ??

Some sites don’t work well with FF and after book marking them in IE they don’t show up in FF.(different directories)

Ps: thanks for the tips posted here, I'm new to FF :crazy:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation661
Recent bookmarks