1. Visit this thread for your chance to win a selection of Lionsgate action films on UV!
    Dismiss Notice

Firefox 1.0 browser....

Discussion in 'Computers' started by todbnla, Nov 15, 2004.

1. todbnla

todbnla Screenwriter

Todd
    I have recently down loaded the new Firefox 1.0 browser and have used it about a week or so, from what I can tell it works great.[​IMG] I run Ad-aware regularly and find since doing so I do not receive near as many lil "surprises" while browsing versus using I.E. [​IMG]

Anyone one else using Firefox as their browser?

2. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Yup! There's a few minor issues, but overall a MUCH better experience than IE. All they have to do now is add support for non-standard pages into firefox, and I can stop using IE altogether.

3. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

been using Mozilla for years, IE sucks big time. If you must use IE at least use spywareblaster along with it.

4. Angelo.M

Angelo.M Producer

Firefox has been my default browser for several months. Love it.

Once you go tabbed, you never go back...

5. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

Been using it for a few months and have since swapped all my computers over to it. Been browsing popup and virus free until today.

Got my first Firefox popup....guess these folks have taken the popularity of this browser into consideration now?

[​IMG]

6. Mike Fassler

Mike Fassler Supporting Actor

:/ you proly already had some spyware or somethin yer scanners didnt pickup. use spywareblaster along with yer browser.

7. Mark Shannon

Mark Shannon Screenwriter

Been using Firefox for a couple months now, but with one issue: when I click on a link it automatically opens the link in a new window, rather than a new tab. How can I set it to automatically open new links in Tabs rather than windows?

8. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

There's a couple of extenstions that'll open links in new tabs. Single Window works (but is serious about only letting you use ONE window), and there's also Tabbrowser Preferences (I think that's what it's called anyway) that has a bunch of extra tab settings.

I'm also a fan of TargetAlert though, which will notify you what will pop up in a new window, and what won't.

9. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

Mike LS,
    Do you remember what site you got the popup at?

Mark bk,
    You have 3 options:

1. You can do different things with the tabbing options in the Tools>Options>Advanced>Tabbed Browsing section.

2. You can download any number of extensions that will do what you want them to do. There are quite a few different Tabbed Browsing extensions that can be found at extensionsmirror.nl's Tab-related Extesions Page

3. The best way I found to make tabs open instead of new windows for new web pages, and still have popups apppear for javascript popups (e.g. those little poll result popups) would be to edit your user.js with some simple coding. If you're unfamiliar with what a user.js file is, click on that link. If you know what a user.js is and want to know what to put into it, go here and follow the steps on how to "Reveal More Tab/Window Options" & Decide which New Windows to Block: http://www.mozilla.org/support/firef...rowsingoptions

I honestly forget what extensions you need to use to get the tabs to work this way, since I've been using the 3rd option for a few months now... I felt so proud and accomplished when I did it myself.

10. Robert_Gaither

Robert_Gaither Screenwriter

I use it but liked the older version better as 1.0 seems to run really slow on my computer.

11. Will_B

Will_B Producer

MarkBK...

That option used to be in Tools>Options>Advanced>Tabbed Browsing section, but for this release the option to make new windows appear in a new tab has been disabled...or more precisely, hidden.

The option was "hidden" because they were having some issues with it. But you can reveal it..

Type about:config in your address bar (don't be afraid).
    Find 'browser.tabs.showSingleWindowModePrefs'
    Toggle to true.

Now restart Firefox and go back into Tools>Options>Advanced>Tabbed Browsing section
    and you'll see a whole new set of options for making new windows open into new tabs instead!

I know, I know, it is crazy that they hid this much-loved feature, but there were issues which made them decide to hide it.

12. Mike LS

Mike LS Supporting Actor

No, I saw the popup after I had closed all other windows. I noticed another window was open in the taskbar and it was the popup.

If I ever see it again, I'll check the source out.