Firefox 1.0.4-less stable?

Discussion in 'Computers' started by Chris Bardon, Jun 15, 2005.

1. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

I've noticed that the newest Firefox (1.0.4) seems to be a LOT less stable than the older version. I never used to see it crash, but now it seems that I can almost kill it at will. I've noticed that a link posted in the TV software forum (http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=406005 ) crashes the browser every time.

Has anyone else noticed this? Wonder if there'll be another update anytime soon. If it weren't for the fact that I can't do without tabbed browsing and the extra features that Firefox offers, I'd actually consider going back to IE...

2. Scott Merryfield

Scott Merryfield Executive Producer

That's interesting. Version 1.0.4 has not crashed at all on either of the two machines I am running the browser on at home.

3. Kevin T

Kevin T Screenwriter

i have 1.0.4 and that link didn't cause in crashes. as a matter of fact, i can't remember the last time firefox crashed on me. occasionally, i get this weird quirk where it won't open audiogon.com. ie will though. i still haven't figured that one out.

kevin t

4. DaveF

DaveF Moderator

David Fischer
    Haven't noticed any problems here.

5. KyleS

KyleS Screenwriter

Since upgrading I have had 2 crashes with the most recent firefox too. Dont know if its just certain OS or what.

I am running Windows XP Pro SP2 with all latest patches.

KyleS

6. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

There are no complaints about 1.0.4 crashing that I now of over in the Firefox forums, and people usually talk about them when there are problems. The link you posted worked for me as well. You might want to consider reinstalling Firefox Chris. Or check to make sure your extensions are also updated. Sometimes old versions of extensions can cause some errors. To check the updates, you can simply press the update button for each one (Tools->Extensions), OR you can visit the extensions website(Tools-> Extensions-> right click each extension), and manually see if the extension numbers have been updated.

I believe a 1.0.5 will come out before version 1.1 is released. You can download the latest beta of 1.0.5 here (but being a beta, it might turn out to be less stable):

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.o...t-aviary1.0.1/

But since there haven't been any voices about crashing, the 1.0.5 will probably just be a security update.

Some people also might be interested in the "stable" alpha of Firefox 1.1 labeled "Deer Park."

Deer Park Alpha 1

The main problem with this alpha release is that not all the extensions work with it. AND also, I would only use that if you know how to backup your current profile, and create new profile.

7. Chris Bardon

Chris Bardon Cinematographer

Yeah, I figured as much-I suppose it's probably something that one of the extensions I have installed broke with the upgrade. I already solved one problem with FlashBlock, but there might be others that don't behave well.

I've actually also found a problem where if firefox is loading from some servers, it stops responding completely, and even if I can close the application window, I still have to kill the firefox.exe process manually. This became a lot less frequent once I removed/reinstalled flashblock, but I still get it occasionally. I'd rather not reinstall all my extensions though, since I have a lot of them.

8. Greg*go

Greg*go Supporting Actor

If you uninstall, then reinstall Firefox, you won't have to reinstall your extensions. They get saved in your profile, which is not touched. Just checking to see if they are all updated might be adequate enough. When there is an odd person with a problem it is usually due to 2 extensions conflicting with each other.
    I've experienced this too, but I think the last time I had any problems like that were with a VERY old version. That is an annoying problem though, because you can't reopen Firefox until you kill the process. And it seems to happen to random people.

9. Kimmo Jaskari

Kimmo Jaskari Screenwriter

Usually when stuff like this happens with any software - and when nobody else is seeing it happen, at least not across the board - your best bet is to do a total uninstall (and I mean total, including erasing the application directory in Program Files if there is something left there after running the uninstall program, as well as manually deleting stuff from your profile in Documents and Settings) and then reinstalling stuff from scratch. Obviously export your bookmarks first, in this case, for import later... [​IMG]

Incidentally, I think there is a plugin to do (sort of) what Opera does built-in, namely save the state of your browsing session continuously so that if the browser crashes (or indeed if you close it, either by mistake or choice) the browser remembers where it was and what it was doing - tabs and all. Not sure how well that plugin works, but I think there is such a thing at least.

That's one reason why the occasional crash in Opera is a very minor nuisance, usually... just shrug and restart and you're back exactly where you left off.

10. MikeH

MikeH Stunt Coordinator

I recently have been experiencing the same things thankfully I think I figured out the problem. Thanks to the Firefox extension thread I installed Flashblock. Since then I have had crashes on one particular website. I added the url to the whitelist and everything is back to normal.

Mike

11. TonyD

TonyD Who do we think I am?
    Supporter

Tony D.
    only problem for me is the character encoding keeps defaulting to something unkown.

then i have to change it to western or anything that will display quotation marks or other symbols properly.

before i change it those symbols only show as question marks. like this ...

i can?t see what i?m supposed to see.